73 16ft Supa Sport Update!

flatsider45

Seaman
Finally got the hull welded on this jewell and what a fiasco.Called a "reputable" welder out to the house.Thought he was bringing a tig unit with him,But NO.He pops out with a stick welder and fluxed aluminum rod.Started to tell him then to fa getta bout it right there but he assured me it was no problem.Well three ball point pen holes turned into three quarter size holes and the cracks were bubble gum.Icouldn't have been more pissed,couldn't decide if at him or me. I couldn't get the boat to a shop because the trailer was was under repair.So busted my tail and finished the trailer,loaded the boat and took where I should have in the first place.The guy straightened out the mess and only charged me 40 bucks.( Shout out to Longs Trailer And Body) ( he knew the guy) Bad choice. I guess he felt my pain. But found out he's a Starcraft owner to! He's got an 18 foot Super Sport.Anyway, got it sanded,taped,and the etching primer on it today. 8am-8pm whew what a day.Tomorrow starts primer and paint.Woo hoo!! Got my dashes finished with new Faria guages,vinyl and trim and Telex steering wheel.Getting closer.Still a little ways to go. Pictures to come. See Ya Your resident redneck! Jimmy J.

Pugetsound

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 73 16ft Supa Sport Update!

Is your 16 SS a I/O or a Outboard. I just restored a 1975 16 SS ( a complete job) what a mess. Glad you got the welding done Guages ? were they hard to install or are you replacing origional ones? My 16 has a 84 Johnson 50 HP but a very good running one. That was the only good thing in the deal I made LOL good luck, looking forward to photos. My restro photos are on my thread as well as a few other boats. Can't have enough.

fshngho

Lieutenant

Glad you got the welding taken care of. Simple rule I live by, always go with your gut.:cool: Most of the time you will be right. My gut tells me I need to see pics. I'd like to see the welding job, guages, and paint. you know da rules:D

flatsider45

Seaman

Mine is an outboard.I'm putting a 2000 johnny 70hp with a 19 pitch prop on it .The guages were not real hard to do except for one thing. I used 3/4" marine grade ply for dashes.The new Faria guages mounting bracket studs aren't long enough to mount through the ply.So after cutting the holes I inletted the mounting brackets down in the ply about 1/2 the thickness of the ply with a router and it worked perfect.That was done only on the small guages.The large guages had plastic studs on them which I removed and mounted them.Hope this helps. I don't think they turned out to bad. Sorry about the focus on the picture.

Attachments

• dash (2).jpg
    dash (2).jpg
    152.6 KB · Views: 2

flatsider45

Seaman

Got a few pics for ya.The focus was screwed up on the dash though.I was twenty minutes from getting finished painting and the sky opened up and screwed my day.Thats what happens when ya aint got a shop to work out of.Anyway,tomorrow I'll start again.It looks better than it did.Least I'm getting closer.Have a good one.Jimmy J

Attachments

• dash (2).jpg
    dash (2).jpg
    152.6 KB · Views: 1
  • PICT0008.jpg
    PICT0008.jpg
    138.1 KB · Views: 1
  • PICT0004.jpg
    PICT0004.jpg
    143.7 KB · Views: 1
  • PICT0001.jpg
    PICT0001.jpg
    145.8 KB · Views: 1

Pugetsound

Lieutenant Commander

The portable canopy set up (10 by 20 ( covered and roll up sides. Our Costco sells then for about $ 150. We live in a rain area and my boat was dry and ok to work on all year. Great for parking when completed also. I think there about 12 ft at the peak also.

fshngho

Lieutenant

Looking good Jimmy. I really like the dash. I know the feeling when mother nature pulls a fast one too. What color is the boat going to be?

barato

Petty Officer 1st Class

i've done the "lean-to" silver tarp plan before....hook one side to the house or garage eave and stake the other one. cheap, fast to put up and take down, and reasonably effective.

flatsider45

Seaman

The bottom is going to stay bright white and the top is going to be a light gray.I know it's not the right color for the time period but I just don't much like the robin egg blue and the gray is fairly neutral so I can get the interior I like to match.I may do some sort of striping on the sides.Got new emblems to go on also.The rain really screwed the paint and had to resand and paint today.Not as I would want it,but it will have to do.Have a good one! Jimmy J

fshngho

Lieutenant

I don't think anyone has gone back to original paint. Its your boat so do as you will:D Heck, even bright orange, pink, and yellow have been used on the whole boat. Even saw a physcodelic early 60's acid or lsd paint theme:confused: Its your canvas and your imagination

star18

Seaman Apprentice

Your hull and dash look great! Can't wait to see more photos of your progress.