72 Thunderbird Formula w/twin 165hp Mercs

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Dats funny.... I was going to same the same thing about being depressed for the last few years!:) I think you would be more than able to fair out those areas as stated. And it should work. :happy:

Mark72233

Ensign
Woe, I appreciate the offer but mine is an older version then that one. I also have one of those that was fresh water and very clean. I am going to try and recoup the money I spent on the one I bought. The bolt pattern is different on that one also.

Mark72233

Ensign
Wood thanks for calling me and the advise which I will follow to the letter. Question I have epoxie which I ordered with all my other supplies back in Aug that I haven't even opened. Would it be better to use epoxie on the transom fix or stick with what I know because I have never used epoxie. I also only have the CSM and the 1708 biaxe. Let me know what you think.

ahmincha

Lieutenant Commander
As far as what you know Is plenty to use epoxy I was afraid of it also before I used it and found out basically the same process. But from what I have read you do not use csm and 1708 would waste resin. Since you have those materials you could go vinyl ester not as strong as epoxy but stronger then poly.
Looking real good!!!

WOEISMEIGOTTA470

Petty Officer 1st Class
Mark- sorry I can't help, I wasn't sure which style you were going with. Let me know if you change your mind or if I can help you with any other needs.
As far as smoothing the transom goes just make sure you use something that can sand easily. Otherwise you'll be spending many back breaking hrs tryin' to get it flat. I'd think the #4130 compound sold by fiberglast would be the perfect solution as it's fiber reinforced for structural use. Something that sets up fairly fast is good too, to help reduce down time between sanding and re-application.
Anyways looking real good, I hope you can start getting those engines in soon, your moving along real well!
-Woe

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Wood thanks for calling me and the advise which I will follow to the letter. Question I have epoxie which I ordered with all my other supplies back in Aug that I haven't even opened. Would it be better to use epoxie on the transom fix or stick with what I know because I have never used epoxie. I also only have the CSM and the 1708 biaxe. Let me know what you think.

I really doesn't matter. Both will work. Epoxy is a bit harder when working on vertical applications due to the longer kick time. Our conversation was talking about using either poly or vinylester resin products. The repair will come out great using either. Do what your "Gut" tells you to do and you'll be fine. ;) Epoxy guys love epoxy for all their reasons and Poly/Vinyl guys love Poly/Vinyl for all their reasons!! And THAT will never end!!!:eek::D The guy doing the work is the ONLY one that can make the final decision based on HIS reasoning at least that's how an Old Dumb Okie looks at it!!!!:facepalm:

Last edited:

Mark72233

Ensign
Thanks again Woe, I almost want to change out the Gimbals to a newer version but since I have what I have and my boat funds are being audited by the admiral:eek: . I better stay with what I have and I really want to keep this boat in as much as I can its original 1972 format.

Mark72233

Ensign
Wood, I am going to stick with the Poly resin its what I know. I don't want to experiment with Epox or Vinyl on this. I like your plan so that is what I am going with.

Mark72233

Ensign
I haven't gotten back to the boat itself this week and I don't miss the fiberglass itch. This week I have been working on tearing down the one Gimbal I have and cleaning up the block before I start rebuilding the engine.

Mark72233

Ensign
Hi everyone, I am still working on the boat. The last two weekends have been slow. My daughters 11 birthday and of course I had to stay away from the boat during Mothers Day. I have been doing some engine work which brings up a question. I have a ton of fiberglass and restore work still to do on the boat so I want to stay on this side of the forum but I also have two engines and two Merc Stern drives to rebuild. I know I am going to need the advise of those guys over on the Mercruiser forum to get me through the engines and stern drives. I have rebuilt a Chevy 250 before but it was 15 years ago before that its been since the 80's and it was a Chevy Rat motor 427 Big Block in an old beat up 1967 Camaro that I wish I still had (Sold it back in 1989 because my girlfriend needed some money) She was gone 2 years later. I really should have kept the Camaro and let her go. The Camaro would have still been with me:D but I digress. On the stern drives I was going to buy the new after market drives so I wasn't worried about rebuilding these but reality ($$$) has struck home and the drives I have scrounged up look pretty good. Is there anyway to be on the restore side and the Mercruiser engine side at the same time or should I open a new thread for the engines? Moderators help

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
Don't know the answer Mark, but Wood posted a nice link to a manual for the engine drive setup on my thread. You might check it out.

Mark72233

Ensign
Still working on cleaning engine and associated parts. Inventorying what I have or don't have and trying to find parts from where I stored them back in July of last year. I got the block cleaned and ready for rebuilding. The bearing install tool showed up and I am ready to get greasy.

I am still working on the transom as well. I test fitted both Gimbals making sure my bolt holes are good and how bad the depressions are in the outer transom skin.

In this picture I took a straight flat edge and used a marked drawing lines vertical and horizontal where its not flat the lines begin and end where it is flat. The deepest depressions are on the Port side and are about 1/8" to almost 3/8".

Mark72233

Ensign
OK as wood has called it I am doing Mek-A-NEK work. Last night after work I started rebuilding one of the engines. I had already deglazed the cylinders and cleaned everything up with a degreaser, pressure washer and soap & water. Then I dried everything with an air hose. Next was cam bearings installed and the cam. After that the crankshaft was cleaned up and installed with new bearings and main seal. The pistons I had already cleaned up and cleared all the grooves. I installed the new piston rings which was fun, then installed all 6 pistons with surprisingly few issues testing the crankshaft rotation as each was installed and the connecting rod caps with new bearing tightened down. All six pistons in and still rotates easily by hand. Took the oil pump apart for inspection and new gasket prior to installing that and BAM halfway done. I used plenty of the engine rebuild lube so the first time I crank this thing up it will reduce the initial start up wear. I will get it buttoned down tonight.

I also got one of the two heads back from the machine shop. It looks good and ready to bolt on. The second one didn't fair to well, it didn't make it through the procedure :facepalm:. Once they started hitting it with an air hammer knocked the rust off there wasn't much left of it so BOAT ANCHOR. I have 3 more heads that aren't in great shape but maybe one of them might work.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Well even though I don't see any pics of Greasy fingers or busted knuckles, I guess you deserve one of these...

Keep of the good Mek-A-Nekkin''':lol:

Mark72233

Ensign
Thanks Wood, next time I will take pictures of the greasy hands and the several sets of shirts and shorts I have ruined from all the oil and grease. My wife never seems to appreciate the end product and why cant I do it without using my clothes as a degreaser :rant:

Mark72233

Ensign
Doing all this engine work makes me realize how much I had depended on my dad for backup and advise. He came from 2 generations of mechanics and he grew up in his dads garages in Puerto Rico before joining the U.S. Air Force and working on B52's. He was my go to guy. Now I get to just make the mistakes the hard way :frusty:

Mark72233

Ensign
Wood, I am sitting here at work listening to my Pandora, Merle Haggard singing "Okie from Muskogee" reminds me of you.