72 Thunderbird Formula w/twin 165hp Mercs

Mark72233

Ensign
Now back to the boat for a little while before I start on the headboard. 2 of the 3 deck boards cut out and dry fitting. The front one has the holes cut out for the fuel tank inspection ports. The second one is waiting on all the hatches to be delivered so I can cut the holes out on it.

Wired my fuel tank sending unit and ground wires.

Mark72233

Ensign
It is ugly but I sealed up the fuel line, vent line and wires going out through the stringer with a flexible sealant so water wont get in through these access points (Hopefully)

Mark72233

Ensign
As I was day dreaming in the boat like I am sure a lot of you do as well I realized I had not reinforced the deck where I will be attached the seat bases to so I installed cleats to the side of the stringers and hull and attached 3/4 inch plywood across a large enough area so I wont have to be picky about where I install the seats.

And the bilge area is getting a little trashed and yes those are my official fiberglassing Crocs. Forgot I had them on one day when I was putting down fiberglass. After I ruined them they became my fiberglassing shoes.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
I LIKE the Woodworking!!! I've been so busy with Office work and Upholsterywork I haven't had time to do any woodworking. I miss it. My wife is wanting a Headboard too!!!! Looking forward to seeing yours.

nurseman

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I'm starting to get kinda jealous of all you guys who can open up the garage door and work in the sun...Still too freaking cold here :blue:
Oh and BTW, everything is looking real good. I like the seat reinforcement idea, nice fix on the fly!

Mark72233

Ensign
I know you cant see it but under all this stuff is the first of the deck boards in place and screwed down. The deck is about 7 feet wide by 12 feet long. This is the first piece 7 wide x 4 long. It covered the fuel tank so that is done. The next one covers the fish cooler, anchor and rod lockers so trying to get these areas done. Trying to figure out how I want to build the fish cooler now.

Mark72233

Ensign
Starting to build the fish cooler or as my son has named it "The Fish Vault". Painted it with Bildgekote and started insulating with spray foam covered in about 1 1/2 inches of insulation which will be covered in several layers of 1708 and painted again.

Mark72233

Ensign
I have all the insulation in place and taped. Did a test run on the insulation by laying down a layer of CSM and a layer of 1708. When dry they both had good hold characteristics but CSM seemed to hold a little better so I laid down a layer of that first. Then covered it with several layers of 1708. I can stand in it now with no flex. You can see the drain under the 1708 I still have to cut that out and finish sealing it. The drain joins the 1 inch PVC pipe under the deck going back to the bilge. I am smoothing up rough parts and will paint it again. The top will also have layers of insulation under the deck with an insulated hatch. Then paint the anchor and rod storage areas and I can put down the next deck board again that is about 7 feet wide by 4 feet long.

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Mark,
What types of fish are you going for down your way? BTW work is as usual.........................SWEET!:subdued: I saved all my well and will see how that works out trying to refit them.

Mark72233

Ensign
If we are trolling we go for king and Spanish mackerel, dolphin(Mahi Mahi), wahoo, sailfish, barracuda, bluefish and anything else along the way. If we bottom fish then red snapper, several type of groupers and a bunch of other bottom fish. Spearfishing we go for a lot of the same stuff but we get to pick the best ones out of the school especially with amberjacks but they get a little wormy. Diving we also go after spiny and shovel nose lobsters. Shallows we fish for Redfish and speckled trout and during the right times Cobia.

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Wow, Sounds like a fisherman/watermen's paradise. Save a couple of lobsters for me!

Mark72233

Ensign
Still working on the second deck piece. I have to finish building the fish ice chest below the deck and then I can attach the 2nd deck board.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
You mean the fish you catch bring their own BEER and you need an ice chest for it??? Man I gotta come visit!!! That's some mighty hospitable FISH!!!!! Must be related to Charlie the Tuna!!!!:eek::D;)

Mark72233

Ensign
I guess you have never fished in a vacation town like Panama City Beach. There is so much beer around here during spring breaks you cant help but catch a fish and a beer can at the same time.

Mark72233

Ensign
Cut out the holes for the hatches and covered the underside of the deck with a layer of CSM. Put PB on top of all the stringers and bulkheads and used 2 1/2 stainless steel screws to attach it. I now have 2 of the 3 deck boards installed. Its nice to have a solid flat surface to walk around on. The hatches are there just for dry fitting and photos. They wont be installed until after all the deck boards are attached, fiber glassed and painted.