72 rude 100hp low speed issue

RJ2986

Cadet
So I just got my restored 72 Glasstron V163 in the water for the first time after it had sat in a boat house for almost 10 years un touched but im having a few issues. first it was dumping gas everywhere but i just rebuilt the carbs and it was a night and day difference and seems to run ok when cold.

But the problem i need advice on is the throttle seems to bind as the motor heats up. I pulled the linkage apart and verified that it has something to do with the timing advance linkage and not the carbs. also when this happens the motor starts to really misfire and dies at low speed. From cold this thing runs like a champ. I don't know if the binding is related to the misfire/stalling or if i have more then one problem.

The motor is a 72 Starflite 100hp (100293R) with the pulse pack.

Thanks in advance for the advice.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Re: 72 rude 100hp low speed issue

A motor that has been sitting for 10 years needs a new water pump impeller.

RJ2986

Cadet

Installed a new water pump and tell tail while I was at it as the old impeller came out in pieces. The motor it's self has been cleaned up and all the little tidbits fixed. My concerns are the pulse pack which looks to be original since its the old metal cased one. Or something with the timing advance under the fly wheel is messed up. I don't really know what to check for when it comes to that stuff.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

You'll have to pull the flywheel, dist cap and ect to get at the timer base to free it up. Probably old grease and needs a good cleaning.

RJ2986

Cadet

Ok so got the flywheel off and here is what i found. The rotor and distributor look like that have ware but there is a crack between every contact point on the distributor (see photo) Also not sure if the rotor is worn down or suppose to look like this (see other photo)

20140509_174138_resized.jpg
20140509_174203_resized.jpg