72 Norseman noisy meltdown. #40253

geoffwga1

Petty Officer 1st Class
Morning all. I was motoring quietly down the lake Sunday morning when suddenly there was a loud expensive bang and some interesting rattling noises and every thing came to a dead stop.When I took off the cover I found a nice collection of bits of crankcase, con rod and needle bearings rattling round the pan.I had probably gone about a mile and a half when it happened and I at first suspected that I had committed the cardinal sin of forgetting to add the oil to the fuel,particularly in view of the fact that everything looked unusually dry.I would have expected the innards to be fairly oily but this was not the case.However,when I got home(eventually) and checked the fuel it was fine so now I'm left wondering why this would have happened to a hitherto good running and reliable motor,if anyone has any ideas or hints I would be glad to hear them.
Luckily I have another almost identical (1973)motor that I have just swapped with.Problem is the motor that blew was a longshaft and the spare isn't.No problem there until you get to the water tube which is 4 or 5 inches too short.My question is does anyone know if an extension is available for the tube or do I have to Rube Goldberg it.
Thanks in advance Guys.
Geoffwga1

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral
Re: 72 Norseman noisy meltdown. #40253

Not sure if the extension is available separately, but they did make them as part of a kit. Alternatively, you should be able to fashion a 5-inch extension (exactly) out of copper tubing and a fitting. Take the time with a file to get everything to fit properly and keep the original contours - prevents folding the rubber grommet over. I can't recall offhand if those are flanged in place or snug fit, but the long water tube may just pull out with a little effort, then you could swap them around.

geoffwga1

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 72 Norseman noisy meltdown. #40253

Thanks for the reply Chinewalker.I was a bit reluctant to try pulling at it too hard in case I created more problems so I just held it in a clamp and tried turning it a little while pulling gently and what do you know,it came off,the extension I mean.It is flared at the upper end and there is a kind of spring clip inside to keep it firm.Thanks again for the response.
Geoffwga1