72 Evinrude 25 fuel pump leak

cr9c1

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hey. The fuel pump is leaking out the small notch cut out of one of the plastic pieces that holds it together. Fuel spirts out of there and makes a hell of a mess in the motor case. What would cause this and how do I fix it? The engine runs great, other than this fuel leak I have yet been able to fix. (All other fuel hoses have been updated/replaced0

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: 72 Evinrude 25 fuel pump leak

Get a repair kit here at iboats and fix it.

Lucraft

Cadet

I assume your engine has the original small, square fuel pump on it?

If so, good luck finding a rebuild kit for it. Seems that no one makes a rebuild kit for the square pump, only the newer "V" shaped pump. You will probably have to buy a whole new pump assembly for $40 if you want to stick with the square pump. The newer one is more expensive, but will bolt right on and can be rebuilt later on with available kits.

When I was looking for a rebuild kit for the square pump, I found that the kit for the '81+ 9.9 seemed very similar: http://www.iboats.com/mall/partfind...gd_poid=109275&gd_row=11&**********=024190745

But I wasn't sure they were exactly the same, so I picked up a good used pump from a friend. Maybe someone here can confirm if the 18-7823 Sierra kit will work for a '72 25.

cr9c1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have two of these square type pumps doing this. What causes it? Could it be something else forcing the fuel out the small opening in the pump?