72 Evinrude 125 coughs and sputters

slyshar3

Cadet
I have a 72 Evinrude starflight 125 hp that coughs and sputters for a few seconds after you throttle it. It then smooths out and runs fine. It is worse right after running at low speed for a while. It isn't too bad with new plugs. I switched from Champion to autolight plugs and that helped a little. I also changed plug wires (spendy!!). It doesnt have any carburater adjusments on it. Anyone have any suggestions. I have ran about three tanks of gas through it already this year, so it isn't the gas. I use lubrimatic oil mixed 50-1 with supreme fuel. Any help would be appreciated.

walleyehed

Admiral
Re: 72 Evinrude 125 coughs and sputters

Number 1, go back to the correct Champion plugs.<br />Number 2, use only 87 octane fuel, no high-test as it causes quite a few issues with internal components and can lead to piston/cylinder failure.<br />Make sure your new plug wires are steel core and not carbon core.<br />A good link-n-sync would be next in order, which will require a manual if you do it yourself.<br />If this doesn't help, you're going to need to pull the carbs and do an O/H on them including removing welch plugs and jets for thorough cleaning.<br />And....Welcome aboard!

slyshar3

Cadet

Is this linknsync a difficult procedure? I have the evinrude shop manual for this motor and it sounds a little confusing. Any tips? I also have rebuilt alot of carbs, but never from a boat. Wasn't fuel in the early seventies high octane? This was my reasoning for using the high test fuel. Thanks for your post. It is great to have access to experts like you from the comfort of my easy chair with a beer and a sandwich. You gotta love the computer age!!!

slyshar3

Cadet

By the way, are catching some monster walleyes here at the columbia. Got my first 10 pounder this spring!! (Though you might be interested because of your callname) It is difficult for me to walleye fish that much with all the monter sturgeon in the same place that just beg to be caught!!!

walleyehed

Admiral

Thw wally's usually bite anywhere I am not...<br />I do manage to get my share though, somehow.

slyshar3

Cadet

I did the link and sync today, and it was way off. The timing link was hitting the throttle link way too early. I fixed it according to my manual. When I started it in the yard to test the timing link, it was right on the money. It didn't miss a beat when I accelerated it. I can't wait to see what it will do under load. Thanks for the tips.