'72 Crestliner Sea Scout 14' Rebuild - newbie to classic boats

Status
Not open for further replies.

97fordrunner

Seaman
Good Afternoon All, thought I would take some time to post up pictures and story behind my Sea Scout. I ended up getting the boat on trade for a 14' Itasca fishing boat I had that was far to small for me and my family ( was very narrow and had 3 Aluminum benches) .

So What I have is a 14' Sea Scout Run About that the hull is in pretty good shape, the floor is solid but covered in green indoor/outdoor carpet, the seats were recovered by a 6 year old and look terrible with stray staples everywhere. The engine is a 50hp Johnson 50ESL71 which when i picked it up I was told ran great and had been out more on that in a moment. The windshield is cracked and will need to be replaced so if anyone has a suggestion on that please throw it my way.

This is my first leap into the classic boat world and am pretty excited even though gremlins keep popping up everywhere.

So I got the boat home and ran it one the hose to make sure it at least started and ran, it did. However this motor doesn't have a tell tale and I had to keep holding the cups to get them to seal to get enough water pressure into the pump cavity to allow water to flow and that was kinda messy so I was happy at least that it ran and went to the launch .25 mile away.

I got it in the water and it floated and had 0 water in the bilge so that was a good sign, I went to start it and the starter just spun and didn't engage the flywheel at all the first 3 tries then the 4th it fired up and idled ok. I let it idle for awhile checking the temp with my heat gun and was happy that it was hovering around 100 deg at idle so I put the cover on and set off. Out of the hole it was sluggish and through the mid-range to full throttle it also seemed like it wasn't all there but would get up to about 30 mph so I figured that wasn't terrible for a poor performing motor on a boat I essentially got free...... And that's when the fun stopped. I was making a turn and backed off the throttle and engine just flat out died and when trying to restart cranked really fast figured for sure the motor went. Got towed back to the landing and pulled out headed home. After some diagnosis I found the flywheel nut was hand tight and pulled the plugs and checked the timing and it was 90 deg off so when i backed off the flywheel kept spinning and blew the key- So I pulled the flywheel ( since it was barley on) and replaced the key and it fired right back up but still poor performance.

I've been messing with it going the the factory manual double checking carb settings and timing and everything seems in spec. I have not checked the spark intensity or power since I don't have a spark checker yet. I did pull the plugs after I ran it and the upper plug seemed we when the lower was bone dry so i'm not sure what that's telling me.

My plans at the moment are to get all the old Bimini mounts removed and fill the holes and repaint the rail, Re-upholster the seats and re carpet the floor, In stall a stereo and some new Gauges to keep an eye on motor performance. Upgrade to LED lighting and rewire it to a new Fuse & power dist box.

I would like to figure out how to install a tow pole in the stern to pull tubers & Wakeboard behind a little nice but not sure how to attach that just yet- I'll find it here i suspect with some searching.

Here she is.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Picture did not post ... Most here use photo bucket to post pics ..Did you check the transom and stringers ?
Welcome aboard !

97fordrunner

Seaman
It didn't post? Weird it shows up for me kinda in the middle of the text. the transom is pretty solid there is a few cracks in around the rear tow eyes. I do plan on rebuilding it this winter. I have not pulled up the floor to check the stringers but everything looks and feels very solid

97fordrunner

Seaman
Finally Got A tank to run the motor in and found out the electric choke solenoid wasn't shutting off so it was staying half open. The motor does have a manual check on the motor and when you push it all the way in it locks the choke in the off position so I took it out on the lake and it is far better thru the RPM range now and coming off Full throttle is much smoother to. However it is really lacking at full throttle. Still only musters about 23-25 mph on a flat calm lake So thats my next task. thinking the carbs need to be rebuilt for sure and I need to replace the tank and the supply line as it has been kinked so it may be starving it for fuel even though the kinks are gone.

tktcpa

Cadet
I am now the owner of this Crestliner Sea Scout. It came to me as it was shown in the above picture and the description fit the boat perfectly. I restored it last summer and put a newer, rebuilt 1985 50hp Johnson on it. It really scoots on the water! Here it is before, during and after pics....enjoy!

tktcpa

Cadet
I'm new to this forum. For some reason, this forum won't allow me to upload jpg files??? Sorry.

jbcurt00

Staff member
Welcome to iboats, congrats on a nice boat.

Start a topic about the rebuild and post pix of it before during and after, if you took some.

This topic is over a year old and as the new owner of the boat, you'll be better served in a new topic.

Closed

Status
Not open for further replies.