72 25hp lower unit problem, issue, fluke, etc......

garzilla

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Okay, was out this past weekend up in Wisconsin on the Wisconsin river....

Motor ran AWESOME with 4 guys crammed in my boat...only got about 14mph out of her, but it got us around.

At one point we were beached, and a buddy and I made a run back to the dock to grab more supplies....and upon us taking off from the beach, I goosed it, and the motor seemed to "break" loose from its locking mechanism.

It made a noise, and tilted up, like I hit something....it never died, prop was fine, no nicks or anything whatsoever...

I'm thinking perhaps I didn't have it locked in all the way after tilting it back down from beaching...but while backing out in reverse, it never tipped up or anything.

Can the lock wear out, get loose, or whatever??

As long as I'd gradually ease onto the throttle, it was fine....
Thanks!!

garzilla

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 72 25hp lower unit problem, issue, fluke, etc......

I'll look closer at it tomorrow....I didn't ever tilt it up, except to beach...and I made sure to latch the lock back, and give the motor a good tug to make sure it was locked in place.

It's supposed to bust loose in the event you hit something correct?

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

Depends how hard you hit something, every thing will break loose if you hit it hard enough.
I only put the lock on when using reverse.

CatfishMN

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Did it run any different at all after your incident? Like if you gave it full throttle suddenly, did it slip? You stated that it was fine if you gave it throttle gradually...

garzilla

Petty Officer 2nd Class

No change at all....I was just afraid to rip on her out of the hole after that.....she is old after all..LOL.

Good point Daviet.....I believe that's what I'll do from now on.

I forgot though, it did come out of gear...once I put her back in drive it was fine.

It was literally 3 seconds after shifting from reverse, backing away from the beach, into neutral, then drive....and goosing her.

1,2,3, pop...WTF!!!!!!!!!