71hp johnson 100hp won't start

thirdm

Seaman Apprentice
hello again everyone....<br /><br />well, i got my electrical problems fixed..(new starter and battery cables). now when i try and start this beast it tries to run (key word - tries), then for some reason i back down the throttle, after which it dies. after that if i try and crank it it only wants to try and run after i let go of the starter (diesels like car engine) - this engine sat for over 1 yr. i have new gas, but i haven't broken into the carb yet. i know i need a new fuel filter(cracked-looks awful), but will that stop it from cranking and running???? any help will be appreciated. <br /><br />thanks,<br /><br />mason

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 71hp johnson 100hp won't start

Howdy, Mason. You probably need to clean your entire fuel system. Have you tried the "pump the primer" exercise while trying to start? If that doesn't work, spray WD-40 into the carbs while trying to start (don't choke). If she fires up, the fuel system is confirmed as the culprit.<br /><br />Try those and let us know.<br /><br />Red sky at night. . . <br />JB
smile.gif

thirdm

Seaman Apprentice

hey j.b., <br /><br />thanks for the input....the pump the bulb deal seemed to help somewhat. i don't have a running engine in the drive, but it seemed like it had something to drink. unfortunately, i am not inspector gadget and therefore could not attempt the WD-40 deal. do i need to get someone to crank while i try it - or should i just go ahead and work on the fuel system? by the way, if i do attack the fuel system, what should i do? rebuild carbs, flush system, etc.... - i read your post on "how to improve this site" - if you or anyone has responded to this before - please let me know and i can read it before i spend alot of your time when you could be answering non-textbook questions.<br /><br />thanks,<br /><br />mason<br /><br />BTW - i don't know if you remember, but you called my last problem (bad ground) - next time you are around lake oconee in georgia let me know and i see about that bottle of scotch! (it won't be 12 years old though!!!!!)

thirdm

Seaman Apprentice

o.k. <br /><br />got someone to help w/wd-40 in carb. it didn't help. neither did starting spray (did not try while cranking). engine still want's to start after i lay off the starter. it doesn't matter if i have it WOT or @ idle, choke or no choke (and all combos of the above). a couple of times i have gotten a 2 or 3 second run but that is about it.....any suggestions<br /><br />thanks,<br /><br />mason

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Howdy, Mason. Seems that your problem is not fuel. The WD-40 trick should have fired her up. BTW, starter fluid is a no no. It washes lube from the cylinder walls.<br /><br />Inspect your plugs. A wet plug has not been firing. She may be trying to run on only one or two cylinders.<br /><br />Your '71 is in a gap in my books. Need some info on your ignition system. One coil and distributor, or four coils? Surface-gap or conventional plugs? Is there an ignition "amp" or "power pak"?<br /><br />Standing by.<br /><br />JB
smile.gif

thirdm

Seaman Apprentice

hey j.b.<br /><br />thanks for the reponse - sorry for the delay but i had to drive someone to the hospital - long story - don't want to go into it. anyway, i have absolutely no idea about the ignition. i am a car engine guy. now if i am looking for a distributer cap, then no i do not have a distributer, etc....can you tell me how to look & find out? i know i have a "pulse pack." (clicks when ignition is on) a friend of mine told me not to ever disconnect or connect the battery w/the key on or this thing could blow (@ cost of $250 plus if i could find one). my model# is 100ESL71. i have the original outboard service manual for a 1971 125hp engine identical to mine (except 125ESL71). would it be the same???? i'll check the plugs tommorow and let you know. thanks again.<br /><br />mason

adrian bick

Seaman

Remove flywheel, remove distributor cap and rotor, clean points and gap at 0.010", check anti reversing spring . Clean distributor cap and rotor and reassemble. Good luck

thirdm

Seaman Apprentice

thanks for the replies....<br /><br />i'll give these ideas a shot and let you know. (i hope like the devil it isn't the key switch though - i had that sucker apart once before and like to never got it back together)<br /><br />mason

thirdma

Cadet

holy sneikees!!!!<br /><br />what a royal pain to get back on the board! i couldn't get on and couldn't get them to fix it so i just re-registered (thanks fone_man). here we go - adrian called it w/the points. sanded them & the dist cap down and she fired right up. of course, when i fix one problem several more arise. the biggest one is the t&t. i couldn't get it to go up when moving (idle only). like some sort of idiot i tried to raise it and then throw it in drive. when i did, it snapped the starboard stern bracket in half. (not to worry too much - i have now noticed that it is not original and someone has welded it back together before (looks aluminum)). anyway - how can i get another one. i know @ one time it was available because i have two that don't match. the second problem (we will keep it @ 2 for now) is the rpm gauge. it was installed as original equip. it reads 0 @ idle and 1000 rpm @ WOT. i would estimate i got her up to 35-40 mph before the stern bracket incident. i know 1000 rpm isn't right - sounded more like 4000 rpm. any suggestions???<br /><br />thanks,<br /><br />mason<br /><br />------------------<br />...if you learn from your mistakes - pretty soon i will be a genius...

thirdma

Cadet

hi all....<br /><br />just talked to someone who knows more than i do about different metals. he said if it is aluminum or metal that it could be welded back together. is this a good idea considering that it has already snapped @ the weld once on a replacement piece???? standing by.....<br /><br />thanks<br /><br />mason<br /><br />------------------<br />...if you learn from your mistakes - pretty soon i will be a genius...

crazyray2

Seaman Apprentice

welds are only as good as person doing the welding.......an good heliarc weld is close to 100% and if you gusset it then better......