'71 Merc 800 water pump 3 bolts or four?

Huron Angler

Admiral
I'm in the process of reassembling my lower unit and had a quick question.

3 or 4 bolts? There are three that face upwards and a spot for one more bolt to be inserted. Of course I should know the answer since I took it apart but that's not the case.:facepalm::rolleyes:

My concern is that I lost the 4th bolt, but it may not exist. My manual says that some have three and some have 4.:confused:

I'm waiting on getting grease and a new impellar with gaskets so I figured I'd try to figure this out in the meantime. Thanks

Huron Angler

Admiral
Re: '71 Merc 800 water pump 3 bolts or four?

Thanks for the quick reply Laddies, now to see if I can find the missing bolt.

Normally I put parts in ziploc bags and label them, I must have been slacking that day.:facepalm:

douglas1978

Petty Officer 2nd Class

hey huron remebered you posted awhile back did you decarb the motor did your compression come back up?

Huron Angler

Admiral

hey huron remebered you posted awhile back did you decarb the motor did your compression come back up?

Once I get the lower unit bolted back on I'll run it on the muffs and make sure the water pump is working. I won't be able to water test it until I finish rebuilding the transom on my Starcraft.

I'm still not 100% sure that the compression on the bottom cylinder is bad. The last test I did with some oil squirted in was a tight band, and I see other folks do the same.

It might be a few weeks before I get a chance to run it on the lake and hook up the tach.

douglas1978

Petty Officer 2nd Class

after you decarb it i've read a couple guys running amsoil snythetic on here with good results have not tried it myself though no need to i have 145 psi on each cyl. on a 1974

Huron Angler

Admiral

Good news! After speaking with my buddy who let me store the boat for the winter...it seems that we have a baby food jar with the "missing" parts:)

The bolt mentioned by Laddies is in there along with the O ring and a key.

Hoping to get her bolted up after work tonight. If I can get my transom finished this weekend I might be able to get her on the water and rigged with a tach in a week or two.

If the compression is still low on the bottom cylinder I'm gonna sell probably.

I am hoping that the fishing line that I removed when I took the prop off was causing the low WOT rpms but that's pretty optimistic. We'll see:)

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

usually the bolt comes with the WP repair kit. It is a self-tapping bolt that screws into the WP base, right?

douglas1978

Petty Officer 2nd Class

hey mike have you tried the decarb yet, i hate for you to go to the rudes or johnny's, but i know from the resto thread the transom has been your pain in the @$^:eek: hope you get in the water this weekend. Have tried adjusting the screws on the carbs ?