71 25hp Rude NO POWER!

woodducker

Seaman
Its been a while since i posted but ive ran into another problem with my kicker. Its been running great and noticed weak power so i replaced plugs (J6C) top cylinder seemed to be fouled. anyways it ran great for about two weeks and then no power under load again. Idles Great. Cleaned and recleaned carb. Great spark, good compression,. Im at a loss at the moment. Duck seasons about done and it looks like ill miss the last weekend. Any ideas will be greatly appreciated!

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 71 25hp Rude NO POWER!

check compression. it has single carb, that serves both cylinders, so that is out. great spark both cylinders, so that's out. leaves compression. unless a coil is failing after it heats up.

woodducker

Seaman

i was maybe thinking power pack??????. the darn thing will idle all day long. it just doesnt make since to me. I have a 68 18 hp and was wondering if any parts would work for both? the 68 is manual start but looks similiar.

tx1961whaler

Vice Admiral

Did you try pumping the bulb when under way, to see if that changes anything? That would rule out the fuel pump, anyway...

woodducker

Seaman

yeh i did. i also pulled the line and made sure i was getting good fuel flow from pump and it worked fine too.

jbjennings

Captain

Have you waited until you have the power loss and tried pullling a plug wire and seeing if it makes any difference? Did you check spark with a spark tester and see what kind of gap it would jump? --just curious, I usually see a power loss when I'm losing a cylinder due to a faulty coil. It would also make me think a weak coil might be causing my plug to foul.
Just some thoughts,
JBJ

woodducker

Seaman

i pulled each wire to start the motor and got no change. i never pulled a wire while it was under load. was in Ark. when it started so didnt have a lot of time to do much. but ill try some things tomorrow. thanks

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

is your loss of power, start immediately, or does it start after the motor warms up.

the coils, or power pack could be failing when they heat up, you need to check your compression, as i said before, then get an inline spark tester, and check spark when the motor has been run.

also a long shot, if the motor starts to run hot, it will loose power.

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

No powerpack on a 1971 model year. TD is in the right track. A compression check can easily eliminate possible causes and hopefully will narrow it down to something simple. Could also be a condenser going out or the points simply needing to be cleaned and gapped (or replaced if really pitted), as they can often lead to intermittent issues...
- Scott

woodducker

Seaman

Thanks alot guys ill give it a shot. And yeh the power loss is from the start warm or cold. but still idles great cold or warm if that helps.