70s OMC 2.5L starts good cold, not so good warm

cr9c1

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hey guys. Got a 2.5L OMC in a 70's glassmaster boat. Starts alright cold. Although, today I had to pump it while cranking to get it to fire.

It has new plugs, wires, coil, distributor cap, rotor button, points, basically all the tune up crap. However, I ran it across the water today for about 15 mintues.. then shut it down to drift. When I went to restart it, it wouldn't start. I tried starting it without moving the throttle forward, but it just cranked with no fire. I tried pumping, same condition. Eventually, it fired up and ran rough but came out of it.

Its been doing this for a while, and my experience with 2 cycle outboards tells me its carb related, but I'm not certain and Im not sure how to figure it out. The carb has plenty of fuel flow and everything else appears normal, which leads me to believe my carb may be plugged or misadjusted or something funky with the electrical system. help is greatly appreciated.

Bondo

Staff member
Re: 70s OMC 2.5L starts good cold, not so good warm

Ayuh,... Sounds Fuel related to Me...

cr9c1

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 70s OMC 2.5L starts good cold, not so good warm

Cool. Well thats a start I guess. Any idea what I should do next? I haven't checked spark when its in a no start but I could do that. I still think its fuel related. I don't think the automatic choke is working either, but that wouldn't really affect warm start unless it was closed.