70's 25hp Merc bogs down under load

Case450

Seaman Apprentice
I bought an old 25 hp merc longshaft tiller outboard last year. Took it to my boat mechanic who ordered a bunch of long defunct parts and got her running again. I then proceeded to use the motor about a week or so later (on a boat that was meant for a short shaft tiller) and the merc would start and idle and low throttle perfect but when you opened her up she would bog out and die. Start it up and get putting along fine but as soon as you try open her up she would bog down and die. So I idled it back to the launch and called the marine shop and asked them about the motor they just repaired. He said when he put it in the tank he took it to wide open throttle and back down again several times with no problems. It idles fine and everything about it seems to work except for the giddyup and go.
Anyone got an idea?http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb270/PinkyRingz/Motors/HPIM0685.jpg

crem1

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 70's 25hp Merc bogs down under load

Either throttle linkage could be adjusted or the carburator idle screw needs playing. Fuel pump also is worth looking into