70 Starcraft Jupiter Restore/Modification

West Coast Willy

Seaman Apprentice
Hello all, First off I'd like to salute and ask permission to board. Especially thank all those Starcraft members that have posted their restoration projects with pictures. Seems like I know my new boat from keel up without ever taking off the cover. Thanks. I'm a little reluctant to post this thread, as I'm sure I'll be called a "blasphemer", but I want to convert this boat from closed bow to open bow vessel. I looked high and low for a SS model, but this boat came along, and for the price, I just couldn't pass it bye. I've searched through the forums and haven't found a project that addresses what I propose to do. I would appreciate any help with the bow and deck modification, rebuilding front gunnels, floor and storage area in the bow. Here are a couple of pictures, boat as is and what I wish to accomplish.

Attachments

• Boat Now.jpg
    Boat Now.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 0
  • Open config 1.jpg
    Open config 1.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 0

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
Re: 70 Starcraft Jupiter Restore/Modification

Welcome! I think rebuilding the gunnels will be the most challenging part. Not insurmountable though. Are you doing a console?

West Coast Willy

Seaman Apprentice

No console, I was able to find a tiller handle for the '88 25hp Evinrude, runs great, will be removing steering, controls, windsheild, all that stuff. Strictly an open fishing boat. I don't have a covered area to park this boat, so doesn't make much sense to get all fancy with interior, just functional.

Huron Angler

Admiral

*salutes back* welcome aboard Willy. Ya know I've heard that on the west coast it's tough to find any type of starcraft in decent shape for a good price, so I can understand where you are coming from.

We have so many old tin cans here in the midwest that I was able to find an open-bow but I had considered chopping up a mid-70s 15' Holiday into an SS at one time:)

Good luck!

West Coast Willy

Seaman Apprentice

There are some nice ones around here in Or, but then you going to pay for them. Hull on this one is in great shape, trailer never in the salt, won't be for long, I hope. Engine was a giveme, with exception of tiller, shouldn't have to do much, new fuel lines and regular maint. Floor is a little spongey, will change that and flotation. Top of transon is ok, but won't know real condition until I take off motor well. Thanks to the Starcraft guys, feel like I've already done it. Can't express my gratitude for all their pride of ownership and postings of their projects for us cadets to view.

North Beach

Commander

WCW, welcome to iboats! If you want to do that conversion I say go for it. Remember, all these Starcrafts are basically the same hull with slight modifications to make them the specific boat they are. So just trace the bow cap the shape you want it and cut her up. Then build it back the way you want it. It's that simple. All you have to do is get the mental picture and make it happen.

West Coast Willy

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for the words of encouragement NB. It's restoration threads like yours that convinced me that Starcraft is the way to go. Currently have a 14ft Valco that I've fished for years, the only comparison is that their made of Aluminum. Thought I'd scribe the bow out one inch larger than existing railings, see how things are going to work. If there's an interest in my project I'll post additional pictures as time goes by. Thanks

West Coast Willy

Seaman Apprentice

Thought you might like to see the little bay and estuary where I'll be fishing my new boat. It's just a matter of being in the right place, at the right time.

Attachments

• 2.elk_on_beach.jpg
    2.elk_on_beach.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 3.elk_in_river.jpg
    3.elk_in_river.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 0

Huron Angler

Admiral

I've seen some Valco hulls and liked the lines on them...are you working on that boat too?

We'd love to see more pictures...of both boats!

What you might want to consider is the mariner style as well with a center console. Great for fishing:D

page5.jpg

West Coast Willy

Seaman Apprentice

That's a handsome setup. I'm a tiller man, can't fish and run the boat from behind a steering wheel. The bow configuration looks good, I'm thinking deeper area in bow for anchor nest with hinged door and maybe only half lower deck to starboard, swivel seat to port. Half deck would contain "dead well" for catch with top hatch. Also thinking of plumbing that to stern, depends on drop.

West Coast Willy

Seaman Apprentice

He's Back. Finally stopped raining enough to get some work done on her. As you can see, I'm working under a tarp attached to my kiln shed, a low level leanto affair. Just as I thought, the gunnels are folded over to create inner surface to attach rub hail and storage areas. Thought about taking it down to local sheet metal place and seeing if they can't brake it over for me. Do they make a hand held tool I could rent to do it myself? Anyway, here's the pictures..

Attachments

• DSCF0096 (800x600).jpg
    DSCF0096 (800x600).jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 1
  • DSCF0092 (800x600).jpg
    DSCF0092 (800x600).jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 1
  • DSCF0093 (800x600).jpg
    DSCF0093 (800x600).jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 1
  • DSCF0094 (800x600).jpg
    DSCF0094 (800x600).jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 1

West Coast Willy

Seaman Apprentice

Answered my own question.. Found a hand held metal bending tool, at least on the internet.. Go to you tube and search draco tools eco-bender 3. Made in Germany and they must have more sheet metal than we, cause we can't get it..Think I'll make a sandwich of flat iron, held in place with "C" clamps and then gently pound the angle down with 2x4 block..

Lion hunter

Lieutenant Commander

Keep some detailed pics for us. I have considered that same project.

West Coast Willy

Seaman Apprentice

Did metal work, rude and crude but all I needed was enough 1" to pop rivet new rub rail to, will have to gusset joint together and put in some support brackets. Also took out floor, will only have to replace mid and stern piece. Flotation was in remarkably good shape, I was surprised, will only have to replace a few sticks of 1" stuff. Metal bending was accomplished by making a sandwich of two pieces of flat iron held together with C clamps pried over metal with small vise, finished off with hammer and wood block.

Attachments

• DSCF0100 (800x600).jpg
    DSCF0100 (800x600).jpg
    143.4 KB · Views: 0
  • DSCF0103 (800x600).jpg
    DSCF0103 (800x600).jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 0
  • DSCF0105 (800x600).jpg
    DSCF0105 (800x600).jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 0
  • DSCF0106 (800x600).jpg
    DSCF0106 (800x600).jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 0
  • DSCF0109 (800x600).jpg
    DSCF0109 (800x600).jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 0

mccurtis

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hey Westcoast welcome to the club. I'm from So. Cal. but moved to Branson, MO 2 years ago. Nice project I like it. I was wondering if you would like to sell your windshield from your Jupiter its doesn't look like you'll need it with your boats new face lift. I have a 1966 Jupiter that is in need of a windshield. Let me know. Keep up the good work it looks great. - MC

Huron Angler

Admiral

Looks good Willy, I like your strategy for bending that gunwale.

That exterior transom piece is wider than the factory, was this boat rebuilt in the past possibly?

Keep up the good work!

West Coast Willy

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for the encouraging words HA. Previous owner had a welded Al bracket made to increase height to handle long shaft engine. Also, noticed from "dog" marks that at one time had twin OBs. Just a couple of iffy spots in the wooden transom, will seal wood up well and re-paint.

Attachments

• DSCF0112 (800x600).jpg
    DSCF0112 (800x600).jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 1
  • DSCF0111 (800x600).jpg
    DSCF0111 (800x600).jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 1

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Great project WCW! Man I love the shot of the Elk in the Bay there, that is what it's all about right there, sweet!

I might be just a bit late on this but...

I used this metal bending tool for my tub, worked well (sitting there on there on the gunwhale after I bent it up)...
P1010735.jpg

I'd for sure make that little rig into a CC - when I had a tiller it seems as though I was always wishing I could steer from the middle of my boat for flexibility of fishing and to make it easy to reach my little ones if I needed to.

Aaaahhhhhh, but it's not my boat. Rats!

Have fun, I'll be following along!