7.5 HP intermittent miss at WOT

huntin dawg

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi Gents,
I finally got my 1973 7.5 HP out for its first full test run after it's rehabilitation. She runs great except for an intermittent skip/miss at WOT. It pushes my little jon boat at 16 MPH which is pretty impressive.

Any ideas why it misses at WOT?

Thanks,
HD

verado7

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 7.5 HP intermittent miss at WOT

only way to know for sure is to test the ignition with a dva and or you can check the resistance on the stator - check plug wires - sounds like switchbox or stator though .

huntin dawg

Petty Officer 2nd Class

What is a dva? I haven't done any ignition work.

HD

CDI Tech Support

Petty Officer 2nd Class

What is a dva? I haven't done any ignition work.
DVA Explained

DVA is a highly accurate measurement. But you must have a digital meter with a DVA Adapter attached.

This should be our troubleshooting guide for your engine:

Mercury 1 and 2 Cylinder - 336-4516

If not, obtain the ignition part#, then check here:

CDI Troubleshooting Guide

Since the problem is occurring at high speed, it could be that the high-speed coil is breaking down. Check resistance from Blue to Yellow. It should read from 170-180 ohms.

If you find that it's out of spec, we suggest replacing both the high-speed coil & low-speed coil at the same time while you have the ignition apart.

If it's within spec, the ignition itself could be in need of repair. We offer Repair & Return for the 336-4516 ignition.

Again, if this isn't the correct ignition, obtain your ignition part# (or serial#), then check our troubleshooting guide page for the correct guide.

huntin dawg

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for all of the input.

The miss is very intermittent and only when at absolute WOT. If I back off just a tiny bit it stops missing. Could it possibly be a synchronization problem?

HD

CDI Tech Support

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for all of the input.

The miss is very intermittent and only when at absolute WOT. If I back off just a tiny bit it stops missing. Could it possibly be a synchronization problem?

HD
You would need to confer with a qualified marine mechanic.

huntin dawg

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Synchronization was the problem. All it took was about 1 1/2 turns of the max advance screw to fix it. I'm sure glad I didn't buy new coils.

HD

CDI Tech Support

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Synchronization was the problem. All it took was about 1 1/2 turns of the max advance screw to fix it. I'm sure glad I didn't buy new coils.

HD
That's why we always suggest taking it to a qualified marine mechanic to have all mechanics checked prior to any ignition checks or changes.

Our troubleshooting guides/procedures are assuming all mechanical checks have been exhausted.