7.4L Gen V. lower hose clearence issue

Speakrdude

Ensign
Kind of an odd issue. Two identical (96 vintage) 7.4 gen V's side by side, fresh rebuilt couple months ago. (yes, reassembled by yours truly), Starboard engine, Pulley on water/fuel pump touches, just barely, but can touch, the lower 1.5" engine recirc hose. Port side, about a 1/4"~1/2" clearance, Cannot see any mounting differences?
​Anyone ever run into this?

alldodge

Staff member
Haven't run into this, sure you have the bracket bolted in the correct holes on the block?

tpenfield

Staff member
Kind of an odd issue. Two identical (96 vintage) 7.4 gen V's side by side, fresh rebuilt couple months ago. (yes, reassembled by yours truly), Starboard engine, Pulley on water/fuel pump touches, just barely, but can touch, the lower 1.5" engine recirc hose. Port side, about a 1/4"~1/2" clearance, Cannot see any mounting differences?
Anyone ever run into this?

Me . . . . One of my 'twins' had the issue . . . I noticed it when checking things in the bilge. the pulley had already worn a slight groove into the Recirc hose. :eek:

I *think* it happens due to slight differences in the molding or mounting of the recirculating hose. To remedy the situation, I took a large size ty-wrap and used it to hold the hose away from the pulley. Normally, it only clears it by about 3/8", so not much to play with. . .

Last edited: