7.1 Quake in Kiwi land

pduquette

Ensign
Heard you guys down undertook a shakeup ..Hope all are a-ok ! keeping a prayer candle lit. peter

Kiwi Phil

Commander
Re: 7.1 Quake in Kiwi land

It's a really big one, and they continue to get more of them.
The city of Christchurch is a beautiful city.

Wifes cousin lives in the city, new house, no damage, but it scared them badly tho.
MIL lives 45 miles south (20 from epi-centre) no damage (wood house) but terribly scared.

I have 2 brothers 80 miles from epi-centre. One is away, below is the others account.

Damage initially seems to come from
1. older type buildings constructed of double brick have been devastated by the shaking.
2. any house caught by the cracking/breaking of the earth is history.
3. some areas are flooding from broken water and sewer mains
4. the epi-centre was 20miles out in the country and houses there (irrespective) are badly damaged.

NZ gets really bad earthquakes, and they have a very strict building code. Haiiti got a 7.0, and this is a 7.1, and no deaths yet.

Hi Phillip,
We are all ok and the house isnt damaged. Man, what a shake. We woke up to it and I thought -O, an earthquake. It will be over in seconds. Ill just lie here. Well It went on and on, getting more and more violent, so we got up after about 45 second to a swaying room. Got Ryan and headed for the lounge where the shaking stopped .We cant imagine what the shaking was like in Christchurch. All our glass suppliers are in Chch and their factories have had all of their glass stocks destroyed. We suffered no losses. I dont no why we didn't, so we probably hold the only glass stocks in Canterbury.I will probably send 2 glazier and a truck of glass on monday
Adrian is up the north island. He has someone looking after the place while he is away.I haven't heard of any damage out that way yet.
At this stage it looks like south Canerbury got off lightly.
Clive

There is a classic photo of a kid who has jumped into a big crack in the ground to explore it. Can't upload it tho.
Cheers
Phillip

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Thanks for the report, Phil. Our media usually doesn't report that of which they don't have video.

Vlad D Impeller

Commander

Hi Phil, Good news on the casualty front, glad to hear that your folks have have not suffered much in the line of damages.
Like JB said, not too much details on the news over here, though there seems to have been a bit more said about it all on the spanish speaking channels, unfortunately my Spanish is very limited.
Thanks for the report man, keep us updated.

Kiwi Phil

Commander

Lot of info, video, and pictures here.
Slow downloading as I understand communications have been both effected and overloaded.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/

Cheers
Phillip

pduquette

Ensign

Thanks for the reply ; glad to hear that you and your countrymen aer well ! Keep safe . P.S. It sometimes takes a lot to get me out of bed too ! ;) peter

stic88

Petty Officer 1st Class

just had a 7.2 35 miles south of where i live on easter sunday. only two deaths, one form a sign falling on a guy, and the other was when a guy ran out into the street and got hit by a car. living a few miles of the san andreas fault in southern cali we have codes that the buildings must be built by. just as they do in kiwi land, glad to hear that the southerners are all ok. good time to be the only glass shop that has glass.
now 4, 5, and 6 magnitude quakes seem like nothing.
wow just seen the photos and glad to hear everyone is safe, i feel for the people and families who have had their lives devistated. i have posted the link on my fb page. stay safe everybody

CN Spots

Lieutenant Commander

Glad to hear everyone's ok Phil!