6R78B powerhead bolt fell out

TrueNorthist

Petty Officer 1st Class
I was motoring along the lake on Monday when all of a sudden the noise level went up a fair bit on my '78 6hp Johnson. After stopping and inspecting I noticed that one of the powerhead bolts had fallen out. The bolt in question was located where the stainless one with a washer is shown in the centre of the following pic:
powerheadboltclose.jpg
Today I installed the bolt shown (1/4x1 1/2 inch NC) with med strength loctite hoping it will now stay put. Is this indicative of something more serious like a failed powerhead gasket? Is loctite sufficient for this bolt, or should I use something like RTV Copper? The motor ran fine all the way back to the launch aside from the louder exhaust note.

Thanks for any advice.

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral
Re: 6R78B powerhead bolt fell out

Chances are it was nothing. Installing a new bolt is an easy enough fix.

I do note that you are missing the nut off of the motor mount, just forward of the missing bolt. Almost looks like it might have broken off? That should be fixed, as that can lead to premature failure of the remaining mounts...

TrueNorthist

Petty Officer 1st Class

Chances are it was nothing. Installing a new bolt is an easy enough fix.
Thanks for the reply. Good to know I don't need to worry about it.

I do note that you are missing the nut off of the motor mount, just forward of the missing bolt. Almost looks like it might have broken off? That should be fixed, as that can lead to premature failure of the remaining mounts...
The bolt is still there. It's just camouflaged with rust. The bolt falling out had me concerned that I might have to remove the powerhead, which might be tricky with all those corroded fasteners. I'd rather not go there.

TrueNorthist

Petty Officer 1st Class

Chinewalker you were absolutely correct about that mount. I never even noticed until it all but jumped out and bit me. I'll be ordering a new set asap. I just hope the remaining mounts come off nicely. Time to buy another can of PB Blaster.