6E9 Mariner/Yamaha 40HP

So, I have a Mariner/Yamaha serial number is 40 EL 413251. This should be around a '84 from the site I used. I got it for free from my father in-law and he got it free from a neighbour. Appears to have had some fire in the engine melted wires and plastic ends of a few connector rods. That's not terrible once I get the engine going. Repaired the pull cord to try it out few pulls and it starts up. Great! No water being pumped, and some fuel starts dumping out the side of the carb. Order the impeller and a carb kit. Get to the marina and the impeller is tiny, find the right impeller it comes from a early '90s motor. So that's reordered. Carb kit came in and started into rebuilding the carbs. Only one set of things came with the kit. Seemed odd, ordered up the second carb kit right away. Got the carbs off and pulled off the bowl. And then I notice the gaskets and float are all different from the kit I have as well. Back over to buddies Marina, thanks to living in a small town and everyone know each other. I take the carb over and we go through the order book. The carb is also from early '90s.

Story over until I get the fling put back together.

Questions....

Has anyone seen this before?

Am I gaining or losing anything with these different set us?

minuteman62-64

Lieutenant
Haven't seen it yet, but, with my '82 Mariner I expect I will in the future - from looking at parts lists that are peppered with "NLA."

Well, just an update. Got the carb back together, ran it for about 30seconds to make sure fuel wasn't dumping out the vent hole. So far so good. But the impeller is backwards until this week so I am just waiting for that so I can tune the old girl up and put it in the water.