'69 offshore rebuild- BMerr

BMerr509

Petty Officer 2nd Class
EZ- i'm not sure if i'm going to put a windshield on it yet. Probably but it will not be a large one and will only be connected to the console itself.

WM- UGH about the outside vs. inside on the panel. Oh well. Looks fine to me, and it is actually stronger the way i have it. Wonder why it should go on the outside.... the slider idea looks like that's what i'll have to do for the seat.

Last edited:

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
...how do you know which is red and which is green aside from testing them out?...
If they're stamped with the part numbers, you could check those against the invoice or original order. Then mark them accordingly.

But, as others have said, be sure to actually test them before nailin' 'em down. ;) :)

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
For my console dashes I installed a piece of plywood from behind like you did (I routed it out a bit to sit flush) for strength but then put a piece of Starboard on the face. My gauge and accessories hold it on place.

DSCF2597.jpg

DSCF2602.jpg

IMG_1138.jpg

BMerr509

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks EZ for showing pics of how you did yours.

Here is how my control mount came out. Totally neanderthal work but it is solid so I'm ok with it. The boat will be going on the trailer tonight and heading to the marina for the motor install. Should be done next tuesday, but i will be going overseas for two weeks so i'll post pics when i can.

For the mount, all i did was rivet flat aluminum to the gunwhales/side support and then rivet epoxied MG ply w/vinyl to the aluminum flat bar. simple and functional.

IMG_0912.JPG IMG_0913.JPG IMG_0914.JPG

BMerr509

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I return tomorrow and it looks like NY temps will be favorable for me!!! I retrieve the boat either monday or tuesday from the marina, motor/controls/steering/mercmonitor all on, guess it went well. They are concerned about the structural integrity of the transom, saying if i took the boat on the water as is the transom would pull right off the boat. This makes sense since there is no splashwell or anything. My plan is to do something like candutch did, actually already ordered the angle to do so.

What's your take on the structural integrity of this setup as far as the transom is concerned? if i build it like this, do i have anything to worry about?

Thanks to candutch for this pic and awesome thread he has going. i plan on doing the exact same thing for sure. it will tie the rear floor board to the sides of the boat, as well as the transom all together. Let me know what you think. remember, my motor is a 90 hp 4 stroke coming in around 360 lb. So the concern is valid. Also, i will be placing 3/4" marine grade on top of the angle as a floor, all one piece if i have enough materials to do so.

20160320_161251.jpg

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
I see no issues at all with his design, in fact it's overkill. Everything is tied together and then some. I will do doing something very similar as well with my SS but with the added challenge of the V5 not having the side trays to use for support.

BMerr509

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks for stopping by guys! I'll be picking her up tonight, motor and all. I pitched the design with the aluminum angle to the tech and he said it will all be good and safe. here's some pics!

IMG_0031.JPG IMG_0032.JPG IMG_0033.JPG

oldhaven

Chief Petty Officer
You're going to like that! Now comes the fun of figuring out a prop, but I assume your tech will help with a choice. He is right about the need to reinforce the transom, but your plan is better than original. You should be right on track for a great summer.

BMerr509

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks OldHaven, I'm sure my summer will be fun, but i know it will be less expensive than this past winter lol The tech actually is letting me bring the boat back to take it for a test drive to figure out which prop makes sense. The marina is family owned and did a beautiful job. All the aluminum angle comes in tomorrow, i'm hoping to have the framing done by the end of the weekend. Then i have to get the gas tank hooked up, then electrical. I'm hoping for a May splash, ice permitting. Do i dare put a date on it????

The tech was pretty confident that i would have to move the drivers seat base back since it is too close to the steering wheel. I will get a better look at it tonight. I'm hoping i don't have to.

Watermann

BMerr509

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks WM, Don't be jealous of how much i paid for it!!!! lol

Do those seat sliders swivel too, or do i have to buy a seperate part? NVM, just found the answer in the customer questions :facepalm:

I've got to put her in the garage tonight. Work for the framing in the casting deck starts tomorrow night :) gonna be 60+ here this week, which will certainly break high temp records... It's from all you 2-strokers killing the ozone!!!! :laugh:

Watermann

I tried to get some pics of that beauty to follow me on to this page, I hate it when something super nice is the last post on the page. :lol: Guess I could set my pages to hold more posts maybe...

Here we go! Looks to be a bit of lingering snow around still. Same here but mid 30's for highs is all.

fetch

BMerr509

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Some more pics- i haven't done anything just yet. Will start tonight. Have a look!
IMG_0036.JPG IMG_0037.JPG IMG_0038.JPG IMG_0039.JPG IMG_0045.JPG

jbcurt00

Staff member
Merc looks great out back. Awesome and menacing both :becky:

Also means all that old yellow paint still showing has got to go

oldhaven

Chief Petty Officer
You will have trouble finding a transom saver that fits the lower unit profile on these new Merc's. I use one of these instead:

101373.jpg

It keeps the strain off the tilt cylinder. Strictly speaking, Mercury does not feel anything is needed, but I just feel better about using something to hold up the motor while trailering. My trailer height does not allow the motor to be all the way down, and the only option I was comfortable with without one of these is to tilt the motor all the way up into the well so most of the weight is forward of the transom. As you know, you should account for that position when you design your rear reinforcing deck.

BMerr509

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks JB, the yellow certainly does have to go. and actually the gray needs a second coat. I'm going to worry about the structural strength before the cosmetics so i can get it in the water ASAP.

OH- Interesting device there. I'm curious as to why they don't fit on the merc's LU. my father has a 40 hp merc (2012) and he can use just about any transom saver. i think his connects to the trailer than then just has a "Y" at the end to catch the LU. I'll have to look again. If that's the case, any motor should be able to fit it. But i'll take your word for it! You being up in Maine, i bet you take yours down some not so paved roads. mine will make that kinda trip once a year so it is important to get this right.

oldhaven

Chief Petty Officer
My problem finding a transom saver had more to do with my trailer since the standard V shaped stick will fit the LU but there is no place to attach it on my trailer except about 3 feet under the boat. I was more referring to the two strut type that goes between the upper LU and the tilt mechanism. Pre 2014 motors had ways to do this, but no one had designed one for the new models when I went looking for something to use, so I arrived at the type I pictured. I like that it is small and easy to store when not in use.