69' 900 90hp 6 cyl

BeerFatty

Cadet
Saw a few posts but didn't quite describe my situation. I have a few questions and hope I can get in the right direction.

1. Outboard locks to bar in forward, unlocks in neutral but dose not lock in reverse.

2. Control box lever is very hard to move, throttle lever is not bad though. Could it be the cables or the control box itself?

3. Can I get a universal/mercury control box that's new and rewire with the old harness? Of course make sure its rated for the outboard size, right?

I also have a honda '98 bf50 power t/t question but that should go over in the honda thread.

merc850

Commander
1. That's backwards from the normal operation sounds like the reverse cam is incorrectly installed 1000revlokcopysmall.jpg

drop the LU and see if the shift handle moves easier.
2. Do not shift into reverse unless you turn the prop at the same time.
Reinstall LU following these instructions This is how I do it in about 60 sec.: Turn the LU shift shaft by hand counter-clockwise until it
stops, then with Vise Grips tight on the bottom of the shaft turn it a
few more degrees CCW until it clicks into a stop, this
should be neutral - check by turning propshaft --
prop should spin freely.
Put control in N and go ahead and attach LU to driveshaft housing some turning of the flywheel will help the DS splines align.
You can disassemble the control box and grease the cam wheels. This is the controller for your motor except it has red decals mercontrol2.jpg

Last edited:

BeerFatty

Cadet
Thank for answering my questions. It was the shift position after I did some checking and testing.