'69 1250 SS Idle/ Timing Issue

TopGunn

Seaman Apprentice
I got a 1250 SS and I had it running and idling good a week ago and checked all seals for leaks.... but when I shut it off the timing jumped and I had to order a new belt since the old one was toast. I threw the new belt on and am pretty sure I timed it right, my manual says at TDC the solid line on the flywheel should be pointing to the center of the crankshaft and the center of the distributor timing pulley. I did that and it says to line the arrow on the timing pulley to the solid line on the fly wheel, okay did that put the belt on. Now when i spin it the arrow lines up with the solid line and the 3 dot line on the flywheel if i rotate it an inch, so it seems to be timed correctly there.

Now when I fire the engine it will start but when it does it's screaming so i have to kill it immediately. My throttle linkage is right and the carbs are shut fully, I rebuilt the carbs so everything inside of them is okay and the idle screws are only out 1 turn. Im at a loss here.

I also noticed in my manual it appears im missing a pointer that points to the flywheel to tell probably TDC It bolted up near the Throttle stop screw area. Could my belt timing be off slightly causing it to go balls out at idle?

Laddies

Banned
Re: '69 1250 SS Idle/ Timing Issue

It sounds like you used the line on the top of the dist. drive pulley instead of the arrow thats underneath the top cover. or the flywheel has been take apart and was not indexed when it was reinstalled.

TopGunn

Seaman Apprentice

Im using the arrow on the pulley, it is possible the flywheel was separated from the hub the previous owner said they couldnt get it to run and im willing to bet they took it apart. I have the engine set back to #1 TDC using the eyeball and screwdriver in the hole method. Do you know of a way to index this flywheel? All I have for marks on it are 3 dots and one solid line thats it, appears they may have also painted this flywheel red and painted over everything.

Laddies

Banned

This may help.
scan0009.jpg

TopGunn

Seaman Apprentice

Would a leaking crank seal make it run off like that? Everything I did was right

Laddies

Banned

It's possible but not very probably, a air leak at a port cover might also, the first place that I would look is the advance linkage is sticking or a butterfly in a carb is not closing. Next try retarding the timing 1 tooth just to see if that effect it, that should slow the idle right down if the problem is in the timing.

TopGunn

Seaman Apprentice

Found my problem, had a broken cam on the distributor assembly and it was causing it to bind and not go back all the way when at idle.

Thanks for the help!