69 115hp Rude Grenaded. Opinions?

raekmike

Seaman
Hey Ya'll,
Need advice..Should I rebuild or piece out this motor?
Got a 79 Bayliner Mutiny "very solid" with a 69 evinrude 115hp. Model (115983s) HydroElectric shift i believe they call it. Just got it from a friends brother. Last time he took it out everything worked great until "bang clatter clatter dead" So when i got it i tried to turn the flywheel and seemed siezed. pulled lower unit off still siezed. Pulled the plugs and found #2 piston slammed the plug. wd40'd the cylinder. Now the flywheel will move 30 or so degrees. pulled off the head and found carnage. looking in the seloc manual it looks like the bolt that holds the rod together got uptop and got slammed in to the head a few times. Manually pushing on that piston it has at least 1/8" of play. others are fine. Top of the piston is screwed. Head is screwed. Crank might be bent? Main bearing must be toast with the play. Should i piece this thing out since alot of these parts are hard to find? or is it worth what i think would be a complete rebuild? Lower unit, shifter and all the electrical are fully working..
Thanks for your input...

Attachments

• 69rude1.jpg
    69rude1.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 0
  • 69rude2.jpg
    69rude2.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 0
  • 69rude3.jpg
    69rude3.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 0

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner
Re: 69 115hp Rude Grenaded. Opinions?

First the good news. You have a solid late 70's Bayliner. I may get some flack for this but I think they are few and far between !!!
Regarding the motor, you should be able to get all the parts you need to do all the necessary top end repairs but you have to consider the cost versus buying another motor in "good" condition and parting out what you can from the old one. You can even consider getting a very similar motor that is in good shape and keeping the current one for future spare parts.

raekmike

Seaman

:eek: Was hoping to be able to sell enough parts to maybe pay for a decent older 90hp er so. Haven't seen any older rudes around the area here but that's a great idea. I'm pretty darn handy but have never opened up an engine before. Seems a little intimidating. Kinda scared of what i might find inside?

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

The repairs are very "do" able it's just the cost and time factor getting back on the water again.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

you have some things against rebuilding it. 1st it is an hydro-electric shift lower unit, some parts are no longer available, and what is, is extremely expensive. 2nd blown power head. i would sell the lower unit. and anything else you can off it, then look for a 1978 of newer Johnson/Evinrude. the current controls you have will not work with newer motor, but are worth quite a bit, on the market.

raekmike

Seaman

I like what your sayin tasha,
Was wondering if anyone thinks that maybe possibly i could put a new bearing rod and piston in that one cylinder and she would run?
I have another boat right now that we previously rebuilt that i use. I got this one as a project so time isn't a factor. Thanks for the input..:confused:

raekmike

Seaman

Anyone know where i could find bearings and a rod for a decent price? oh I guess I'll need some gaskets too...lol