'68 Johnsonn FD-22M Still Won' Start

bassin'frog

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Got a lot of help from you folks late July/early August, but to no avail. Here's what I have done:

1. New coils (tested good)
2. New points (clean, gapped to 0.20)
3. New condensers
4. New plug wires
5. New plugs (gapped to 0.30, good, crisp, strong blue spark with spark tester)
6. Compression - Upper 65psi, Lower 110psi (I know, shouldn't be that much difference)
7. New impeller
8. Fuel pump rebuild (pump had a lot of crap in it, after rebuild I got a lot of fuel spitting through it)
9. New fuel lines
10. Lync/sync'd
11. Rebuilt carb

Tried starting it a few days ago in a barrel and couldn't even get a 'pop'. It's like it wasn't getting any spark. Switched plug wires around but still no 'pop'. Double-checked spark, and yep, got plenty of spark. Pulled plugs, but they were what I consider fairly dry, not much if any, fuel/oil mix on 'em. Sprayed some fuel in the cylinders, but it still wouldn't 'pop' at all. Fuel primer bulb remained hard. Thought maybe carb wasn't getting fuel. Pulled carb and it had plenty of fuel in it; but while I was trying to start it, it appeared to me the carb wasn?t sucking fuel. Float is mounted properly. Once again cleaned and rebuilt carb. Also noticed today that my armature plate has a little bit of play in it. Checked the mounting screws and they are tight. What more can I do? I just don't understand why it won't even 'pop' when I pull on the starter rope. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Bob

Daviet

Fleet Admiral
Re: '68 Johnsonn FD-22M Still Won' Start

Plugs fairly dry. I know you sprayed fuel into the plug holes, but try squirting fuel into the carb and then pull the choke on. See if you get anything that way.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

1968 20hp Johnson FD22 - Champion spark plugs J4C or J6C set at .030. Is this the plug you're using?

The gap setting on the spark tester should be 1/4" for that model. Is this the gap you're using?

Points should be set as follows, doublecheck.

(Point Setting Of Magneto Models)
(J. Reeves)

Set the points as follows. Have the flywheel key aligned with the fiber rubbing portion of the ignition points. Adjust the gap so that a .020 gauge will pass thru but a .022 will not. Should there be any question of the points being dirty (touching the contact with your finger would cause them to be dirty), clean them with a small brush and acetone or lacquer thinner.

NOTE 1: Should the operating cam have a small portion on it with the word "SET" imprinted, align this portion with the fiber rubbing portion instead of the flywheel key.

NOTE 2: Should the cam have the word TOP imbossed on the top of it, that is a cam that could be installed upside down and this is simply telling you which side is up. It is not a position where one would set the points.

bassin'frog

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks Daviet and Joe - plugs are new j6c, gap is more than 1/4 inch on spark tester. Cam does have 'Top' on it; will reset points per NOTE 2. Won't get to check it all out for a day of so, but will keep you updated. Thanks again.

kfa4303

Banned

Hi Bassin'frog. I have a '66 FD-20 20 hp myself. Everything on your list sounds good, but the large difference in compression is a bit of a red flag. The two cylinders should be within 10% of each other. You may have a bad head gasket. However, before you remove the head, try spraying a bit of WD-40, or Deep Creep into the cylinders to see if that helps. Here are some great links for helping you tune up your motor.

http://www.leeroysramblings.com/johnson_E-FD_15_18hp.html

http://www.outboard-boat-motor-repa...on 3 HP 1952-1967 Ignition System Tune-up.htm

http://www.marineengine.com/parts/johnson-evinrude-parts.php?year=1968&hp=20&model=FD-22M

bassin'frog

Petty Officer 2nd Class

DEFEATED! Well, I tried all the suggestions, worked my fingers to nubs on this motor over the past few months and today I had to admit defeat... I'm back to no spark, no pop, no nuttin'.... decided to keep my '59 Evinrude 10Hp on the boat and pull this one. Gonna have my step son's friend/mechanic (used to work for local Evinrude shop) get it started for me when he can and go from there. Will let ya all know what we find out when we find it out. Thanks to all over these past few months, I really do appreciate it.
Bob