'68 Johnsonn FD-22M 20Hp Won't Start

bassin'frog

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hey Guys! I have spent the past 6 months or so overhauling this motor. Originally bought it from P.O. who stated it ran fine last time he had it out, but it had been sitting in his garage for 2 yrs after that. I bought it and did the following:
-Replaced coils, condensers, points, plugs, plug wire
-Replaced impeller
-Cleaned and rebuilt carb
-Replaced all fuel lines
-Installed clear in-line fuel filter between fuel pump and carb
-Cleaned and inspected L/U
-Adjusted timing advance
-Got compression of 90 psi for both cylinders
-Got crisp spark of ? inch on spark tester

Today, I loaded motor into test drum and experienced the following:
-Sprayed fuel/oil mix directly into both cylinders
-Pumped fuel bulb until it got hard, has I pumped it, fuel filter filled up AND fuel poured out of the choke valve area
-As I pulled the starter rope, the fuel filter emptied, fuel stopped pouring out of the choke valve area, and every once in a while I got a loud pop out of the motor
As I pulled the starter rope, I did not see more fuel coming into the fuel filter
-If I pumped the already hard fuel bulb, the fuel filter would fill up but I didn?t see more come out of the choke valve area
So, this is where I am at?. Not sure where to go from here?.. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated?. Thanks guys!

AlTn

Commander
Re: '68 Johnsonn FD-22M 20Hp Won't Start

try switching the positions of the sparkplug wires

kfa4303

Banned

+1. You may also want to check the float needle to see that it isn't sticking and causing the motor to flood. Sounds like you've done everything right up to this point. Just be patient and methodical and eliminate one variable at a time and you'll get it in no time.

bassin'frog

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks guys, will try it out soon I hope, and let ya know results.