'68 Johnson / Kill Switch

Jambla

Seaman Apprentice
I've got a '68 Johnson 40 H.P. Electric start, I put in a new key switch and the key switch has a terminal that is labeled magneto. this terminal has continuity with ground when the key is in the off position. I am assuming I can use this to kill the motor when it's running but what do I wire it to in the motor? there was no kill switch in the boat previously I'm assuming they used the choke to kill the engine.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: '68 Johnson / Kill Switch

here is a diagram.

Attachments

• overallSwitch.jpg
    overallSwitch.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 0

Jambla

Seaman Apprentice

Thank you. Thats a great wiring diagram, I wish I would have had that a week ago. I dont understand where the wire attaches in the engine. Does it go to the same place as the wire from the neutral safety switch, or should it be wired to something else?

restornator

Petty Officer 1st Class

i'm not sure if it's the same keyswitch as mine, but there are two posts labeled "M." These are to kill the motor, and the leads from the points under the flywheel connect to them. There is no special orientation.

restornator

Petty Officer 1st Class

the safety switch grounds the solenoid in neutral. Prevents you from cranking the motor in forward and reverse

Jambla

Seaman Apprentice

The key switch I purchased has the following terminals
B=battery
G=ground
A=accessory
I=Ignition ( to solenoid )
M=magneto / this is the wire that kills the motor I'm assuming since it has continuity to ground when in the off position. I just wasn't sure where to attach it in the motor. I'm also not sure what all the other wires in the motor are for. I've got the heavy wire to the starter and the heavy wire fo ground and this one wire I need to hook up to kill the motor but there were at least three other wires going to the motor from the plastic plug in the magneto housing that are a mystery to me. there are two posts in the motor on the left side that all the wires are connected to, including the wire from the neutral safety switch. I've determined that I don't have enough beer to figure it out right now. But when i get the next shipment I want to be armed with the correct information.