68 Fastwin Hard to pull

cals4200

Cadet
I have a 68 Fastwin . I just got mine from my neighbor it has been sitting at least 10 years. The motor is hard to pull with starter rope. First thing I did was take out plugs and put some oil in both cylinders let set and it is still hard to pull any advise would be appreciated. I have read since it has been run in saltwater you should let it set for a while, Is that true?

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral
Not 100% sure by what you mean by hard to pull. If it has decent compression, it can be a bit hard to pull over, particularly if you're used to modern motors. Does it sound like something is binding? Worn? Does the motor feel tight? Maybe remove the recoil and turn motor over by hand. How does it feel? Rock it back and forth a bit, feeling for drag, sticky spots, etc.

Also, don't take this the wrong way, but if you're 98 lbs. and not exactly athletic, then it might be difficult to start under the best of circumstances.

shaw520

Chief Petty Officer
If its still hard to pull with the plugs out I would start looking for a tight bearing somewhere.

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
^^^ agree. and could be lower unit issues -- impeller binding, maybe no gear oil. maybe corrosion. Pulling it over on a flimsy stand can be tough too.

Will want to pull off the lower unit anyway to change out the impeller, so could do that and see if the upper still binds. Also, good idea to flush out the motor by running some water up the tube with the lower unit removed (motor not running). Salt water motors need some care. If you take off the lower unit, lubricate the bolts first and let them soak overnight. Will want a manual, particularly if new to outboards.

cals4200

Cadet
I think I will pull the lower unit to change oil and impeller, I know my neighbor treated it well, Thanks for the response.

Parrothead71

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a 66 Fastwin that was hard to pull over , turns out the coils were rubbing inside the flywheel.

geoffwga1

Petty Officer 1st Class
Had some experience with fasttwins,still own two of them,they are harder to pull over than my 40hp Norsemen..but if set up right they start first or second pull.

cals4200

Cadet
Thanks for all the responses, I am painting the boat right now and will get around to the fastwin. I have a little 5 hp that I used to see if she leaked, Was great no leakage.

cals4200

Cadet
No Title

I have it purring like a kitten now. Let oil soak in pistons ,New plugs and Carb kit and she is smooth as silk !!

Attachments

• photo255414.jpg
    photo255414.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 0