65 hp chrysler

jimh6278

Petty Officer 3rd Class
OK so I have read enough on this board to know that I am the proud owner of the worst motor Chrysler produced - but mine looks like nothing i can find in the service manual. someone has changed the head, coils, added some kind of sensor, etc. The model is 659H8B and the SN is 2899 clearly making it a 65hp.

The motor runs great on my 15' tri-hull, 40 at top and it trolls at 2MPH all day long. From what I have read Chrysler recognized the problems with the magna power system and recommend some sophisticated changes.

here are a few pics of the motor.

DSCN1661.jpg

DSCN1662.jpg

DSCN1663.jpg

Anybody got an idea what I am looking at here or where I can go to find out.

pnwboat

Rear Admiral
Re: 65 hp chrysler

Looks like a Prestolite ignition system from a 1985 - 1986 era Force motor?

jimh6278

Petty Officer 3rd Class

That's probably good, huh. Where did the 2 cylinder head come from.

pnwboat

Rear Admiral

I would guess the head is also from the same time frame as the ignition components. It has the mounting bosses for the coils and CD module. Yes it's probably a good thing that it was converted. If anything, replacement parts are probably more easily obtained, however, the CD module (black box mounted by itself on the side) is sometimes a problem. You're lucky you only have one CD module. Larger 3 - 5 cylinder Force engines have multiple CD units which makes trouble-shooting a hassle.

jimh6278

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Think I got my answer from Frantz at FrantzMarine.com. Here it is -

"Good news! You don't have Mag II. What you do have is a conversion kit sold by Chrysler once they finally admitted that Mag II was a mistake. If you can find a Force mechanic that isn't allergic to Chryslers he should be able to work on it. The powerhead and lower unit are unique and were only used one year on Forces (85). These were probably left over Chryslers and were called 60 HP. The ignition is exactly like the 82-87 motors and should be easy to diagnose for a Force guy.

The 65 has a "tuned exhaust" which doesn't sound anything like a 45.

Franz"

jimh6278

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Oh - and I would love to get my hands on an owner's manual. I haven't seen one on ebay yet.

mrwiggles2

Seaman

You can get 40mph on a 15' tri-hull, that is good. My 3cyl. 70hp won't push my 16' aluminum past 27 with gps. Nice motor you have there.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

Actually, only the ignition system was poor, and only the magna-Power II system.

That engine was produced for a couple of years in a 55, 60, and 65. Earlier models had a 2 piece lower unit and later ones had the 1 piece.

The engine is a BEAR. It is by far the best outboard design Chrysler ever built. It is the epitome of crossflow design with packed block, massive ports, tuned exhaust, big bore pistons (3.375), much beefier crankshaft, bigger rods and bearings and longer rods. Chrysler really did their homework on this block. Too bad they didn't carry the design to the three and four cylinder engines.

Your 65 will probably outrun anything in its class. My 60 does a solid 45 on a 14 footer.

The ONLY thing to beware of is that the lower unit has small gears. If you under-prop the engine, it develops torque and horsepower so fast, that on a hole-shot you will strip the gears. To be on the safe side, initially accelerate a liittle slower than full throttle.

BTW: I see you do not have power trim. That engine can easily be retofit with an early model 50 hp Force power unit or a late model Chrysler. It is a bolt on modification. Notice the three tapped holes in the starboard engin clamp. The are to mount the trim pump, reservoir, and motor. Once you have power trim, you will never want another engine without it.

The head was probably changed when the ignition was because the Mag-II heads had a cover enclosing the coils and plugs.

brystr

Recruit

You can get a manual online at the Crystler crew, forgot the website right off the bat, I have a Chrystler 65, downloaded my manual online 15$

google crystler crew

jimh6278

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I want to thank all the people that replied. This site came thru again. Thanks Frank for the info on the power trim. I had set aside $1000 for another motor that I can now use for the power trim and other toys. The boat was last registered in 1996. From the looks of the vinyl, no rips, cracks, checks, or burns, it was always covered. Here are a couple pics.

DSCN1653.jpg

DSCN1660.jpg

DSCN1664.jpg

Like new original prop. Real stable for 2 people fishing. I am still debating removing the seats and replacing with a couple pedistals. And it came with a new cockpit cover and bow cover.

Even a blind hog finds an acorn sometimes. Thanks again all.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

The sensor in the head (orange wire) is overheat indicator and will set off a buzzer or light if the engine overheats. it is a bimetal switch that closes with high heat and goes to ground, letting voltage from the ignition "I" terminal flow through the indicator.

I see you have the aluminum extension with your black tailcone. If you experience cavitation problems, replace the tapered extension with a black plastic "Flare Washer." It does help some and will not affect performance.

jimh6278

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Frank - thanks again. I have already contacted Hurikain Marine regarding parts for the power trim. Tomorrow I'll contact Franz. I guess I'ld like to support guys who support Chrysler before I look elsewhere.

This thing rus so well I probably won't do much this summer. Because it sat so long I assume the carbs could stand to be rebuilt and the service manual does a pretty good job of leading one thru that. Also the gas line is really hard and could stand to be replaced.

The guy I bought it from, not the original owner, said the impeller had been changed. It pumps a decent spray of water so I didn't do anything about that either. Next winter's project. As I understand it the water discharges thru the lower end at high RPM. When I lower the RPM it has a good spray that is warm but not hot to the touch.

Again, thanks for all the info and one of your earlier posts pointed me to Franz which answered my original question.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

If it is running well, WHY DO YOU WANT TO REBUILD THE CARBS? If it aint broke, don't fix it.

Fuel line? Sure, replace it. Fuel pump diaphragm? Another maintenance item that can be replaced. Impeller? Couldn't hurt.

But those carbs? Like I said before: They stick out front like women's breasts and every man wants to mess with them. And just like with women, if you don't know what you are doing, you will get in trouble.

The ONLY thing I would do is to add a fuel filter between the fuel pump and the carbs

73stang

Cadet

Have/Had a 65 just like yours, unlike yours...mine had the electronic ignition that is a bear to replace, needless to say, it is in the shop getting replaced. It was quite good while it ran though, parts on the other hand! I may have some if you need them

MadtownWI

Cadet

Anyone out there still monitoring this motor. I have one that runs perfect. Just too heavy for the pontoon. Know of anyone who will take it off my hands?

Madmagna

Recruit

Hi guys,
Sorry for the thread mine.

I am in Australia where these motors were rare but have one on my 15' half cab

Was under performing badly, turned out to be either the CDI unit under the flywheel or the capaitors, replaced both to be safe

Is there any conversion kit that anyone is aware of I can get to make my life simpler if this goes again as finding a replacement CDI unit was hell and very costly.

Looking at the above pics, is there a walk through, instruction etc and are these parts available in the States for the conversion

Cheers

JailMaker

Recruit

I see this is an old thread, but I have the same motor with the ignition conversion. Came with the 1977 Chrysler Commando 154 Boat, 15 foot Hydro Vee, I picked up this spring. Cant get this motor to do more than 10 MPH on this boat. Seems to run fine. Just no top end. 12 pitch prop. Seems to be original to the motor.

Any thoughts?
Thanks