64 MFG Niagara steering.

broncojeff78

Seaman
Hey all, I am about to redo the steering on my 64 MFG Niagara project and have a few questions. I need new cables and the pulleys at the motor and wondered if I could use vinyl coated cable that is sold at Tractor Supply or do I need some kind of special marine grade cable and pulleys. Also is it worth fixing this system or should I just go get one of those Teleflex steering cable systems? This boat has a 1970 Johnson 40hp e;ectric shift if that makes a difference. I have never ran this boat before so I wouldnt even know how well it works with the 40 horse. Thanks for the help.

*EdC*

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: 64 MFG Niagara steering.

Welcome aboard!
The pulley system was used for years. It is dependable but does have it's pros and cons. I am a firm believer in using the right material for the job. So, I would go with a marine grade cable. No point in fooling around with the steering system, especially if you are underway. Cable steering needs to be checked and maintained often. Springs, pulleys and cable jacket are most important. Also the steering drum to be sure it's winding correctly. A inexpensive and dependable system for sure, if looked after.
A Teleflex system is a better system if you can afford it. Requires less maintenance and gives a more controlled turning response. Another advantage is, less likely to break. and lasts longer. If you go this route, you'll have to up grade the steering wheel also.

Hope that helps!

Mark_VTfisherman

Lieutenant

For the $150-ish that a teleflex costs, just do it. Quiet, precise, smooth.

Your are going to spend a chunk of change on the cable and odds and ends anyway; add $100 and just install the teleflex. Fantastic to lose the squeaks and rattles at idle. No question- just do it. You'll b glad you did.

broncojeff78

Seaman

Yeah its gonna need new cable and 2 pulleys up by the motor, My Dad had an old Mirro Craft with a 20hp Johnson and cable steering and I do remeber the squeaks, creaks and rattles that it made. I'm just not sure what I would attach the cable to by the motor to anchor it properly and I guess I havent really looked into it too closley yet either. This is/was supposed to be a low buck operation as I traded the boat for a mini bike that just sat in my garage. Already got a few bucks into parts to freshen up the ole' Johnson and the wife hasn't raised an eyebrow......yet.

*EdC*

Senior Chief Petty Officer

. Already got a few bucks into parts to freshen up the ole' Johnson and the wife hasn't raised an eyebrow......yet.

Man... Than you're good to go!!!!:D

Mark_VTfisherman

Lieutenant

There is (or was) a bracket available for mounting on boats with older-style motors that did not come with the transom-clamp bosses for a push-pull steering mechanisms. OR you could fabricate one. At least that is what I do with a lot of things not readily available: fabricate! But I am good at that so I am making an assumption that everyone can do it. The way I look at it is that even manufactured stuff was made the first time at some point...

broncojeff78

Seaman

Man... Than you're good to go!!!!:D
Could be Ed, I own a tractor trailer and seems I cant fix anything on it for under $1000 so maybe it just goes un-noticed. Ha Ha. Seriously though I think I am leaning towards using the original steering system and see how it goes. Thanks for the input guys, I really had no idea there was such a following of these old boats!

vwfoolwhy

Seaman

If you want to stick with the cable system (not a bad system when kept up with) then buy the stainless cable at Tractor Supply (By far the cheapest place to buy stainless related items). The coated cable will peel and cause problems down the road. Maybe not this year but by next year it will start binding in the pulleys.

SteveMFG_Oxford

Petty Officer 1st Class

I bough my cable on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0013HGOFO/ref=oh_details_o01_s01_i00

Its plastic coated stainless with a breaking strength of 920 lbs. I thought it least likely to stretch.

I am using all the original steering wheel, steering drum, pulleys and tensioners in my '61 Oxford. Initially I was afraid the system would be squeaky and not very precise. But, I found with a drop of oil on all the pulley shafts and the on steering shaft there are no squeaks. And if the tensioners are set up tightly (properly) there is no "slop" in the steering. Mine is actually smoother than I originally expected.

Spend money on push/pull if you like but I find my old cable steering perfectly acceptable. Admittedly I have a low horsepower engine one it (20 HP).

Reflections2.jpg

broncojeff78

Seaman