'63 Seahorse 10 Compression question

dougandmel

Cadet
Hi, I have a 1963 Seahorse 10 QD-24. It's been hard to start. I checked compression today and got 70 psi in the upper cylinder, and 75 psi in the lower. Does anybody know if this is good enough? If not, what's the psi range I should be at?

wilde1j

Vice Admiral
Re: '63 Seahorse 10 Compression question

Compression is as good as it gets for a pull start motor and the reading are within 10% of each other. Look elsewhere.

jasper60103

Commander

Start with the easy stuff first. Have you checked your starting procedure, spark, plugs, fresh fuel?

dougandmel

Cadet

Taking into account that the compression is OK, I checked the spark today. I had spark at the plugs, but when I put a ignition spark tester on it, it would barely jump a 3/16" gap. I pulled the flywheel, and checked the points. Sure enough the points were burned up. I ordered a new set of condensers and points (coils look like brand new, they must have been replaced recently), and they should be in tomorrow. Hopefully this will fix my hard starting issue. Also, I'm using Champion J4C plugs. I've read that some people use J6C plugs for extended trolling/low speed operation to reduce fouling the plugs. Would the hotter plugs make any difference in starting the motor?