63 Lonestar Medallion restoration

Status
Not open for further replies.

shimanok2

Seaman
Re: 63 Lonestar Medallion restoration

I agree with you Willyclay, one would think corrosion between the two would occur. I did some research and found aluminum eyes that have to be welded on. It's definitely an option.

Thanks for the reference on replacing transoms. I'll be sure to look at it when I have a chance.

On another Topic, you mentioned your Medallion 2 had a 75hp on it? Was that suitable for pulling a skiier? I've been keeping my eye out for an outboard and want to make sure I'm not underpowered with several people or if by chance I'll be pulling a skiier.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

I've been keeping my eye out for an outboard and want to make sure I'm not underpowered with several people or if by chance I'll be pulling a skiier.

What size is this boat?

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

The main thing about a transom's longevity is avoiding water intrusion into the wood. Heck you could use Toilet paper encapsulated in Epoxy as long as water never got to it. Having said that as EZ said the Arauco plywood is very stable, 7ply plywood that uses 100% waterproof glue in its laminations. If you apply 2-3 coats of Epoxy and then either paint it or apply 2-3 more coats of Marine Varnish to provide the UV protection, and then make sure to always predrill and coat all fasteners and holes with epoxy when working on the transom in the future, the transom will last for decades. The wood only fails due to poor care and maintenance.

shimanok2

Seaman

Ezmobee, it is a 16' 6" I believe. It's rated for a 90, I was just wondering what range of HP's would work for having a few people and gear or pulling a skiier. I know it's more difficult to pull a slalom skiier out of the water. Possibly a change in prop as previously suggested? After much deliberation I do plan on putting a 4 stroke on, fyi.

Woodonglass, I will look into the Arauco plywood, mainly the cost compared to marine grade, and go from there. I do like the idea of over-drilling the holes and filling with epoxy. Is UV protection really necessary? It will be completely covered by the splashwell and will most likely have a gas tank, batteries, etc. in front of the portion that is showing.

Thanks again!

Willyclay

Captain

On another Topic, you mentioned your Medallion 2 had a 75hp on it? Was that suitable for pulling a skiier? .

The hull's fairly shallow v-bottom allows it to perform pretty well with modest HP and pulling teenagers on skiis was not a problem. However, I'm 215lbs. and it required a prop change for me to get up on a slalom. FYI, my hull only weighed 240 lbs. when I stripped it down of all foam, glass, wood and non-aluminum for the recycler.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Woodonglass, I will look into the Arauco plywood, mainly the cost compared to marine grade, and go from there. I do like the idea of over-drilling the holes and filling with epoxy. Is UV protection really necessary? It will be completely covered by the splashwell and will most likely have a gas tank, batteries, etc. in front of the portion that is showing.

Thanks again!

In your case, prolly not absolutely necessary. Up to you.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Ezmobee, it is a 16' 6" I believe. It's rated for a 90, I was just wondering what range of HP's would work for having a few people and gear or pulling a skiier. I know it's more difficult to pull a slalom skiier out of the water. Possibly a change in prop as previously suggested? After much deliberation I do plan on putting a 4 stroke on, fyi.

4 strokes are heavier and less torquey. I think you should get at least a 75.

shimanok2

Seaman

Woodonglass, I'll consider it. If it's only a few more bucks then why not.

Ezmobee, I would consider a direct inject 2 stroke, namely an Etec, if the price was right. I know the new ones are leaps and bounds cleaner than the old ones and that the ratios are far different, but there's still something in my brain that doesn't like burning oil...

boatnut74

Lieutenant Commander

Looks like a neat project. I'll be following along on this one for sure as I have a '69 medallion.

shimanok2

Seaman

Thanks for the post boatnut74. Was there any difference to the '69 medallion as compared to the earlier ones? What kind of motor do you have on it and what speeds will you see? As you can probably tell I'm on the hunt for an engine and would just like to know what size would be appropriate.

Have a nice day!

shimanok2

Seaman

So I managed to get almost all of the windshield sections off of the boat. Thanks WillyClay and Bob_VT. The only piece I wasn't able to remove (see 4th photo) was attached with rivets at two different sections. One section was in a very right area and I wasn't able to get to them. I'm thinking I might try grinding the heads off from the bottom. It is out of the way so it wouldn't be seen anyway. I plan on sanding/polishing/refinishing the aluminum window framing in hopes of making it shine again. Does anyone know of any established methods for doing this? I was going to use course then finer and finer sandpaper until a decent finish was achieved. Maybe a buffing wheel too at the end.

I noticed today that some of the rivets securing the stringers to the hull were replaced by nuts and bolts, some of them stainless and some of them very very rusted. I plan on removing the rusted ones (hopefully with rivets) but am unsure about the stainless ones that are in good shape. Would anyone advise to repairing as much as possible while I have the access? Also, would aluminum nuts, bolts and washers be a bad choice for rivet replacements?

Thanks for all the help and have a nice week!

Attachments

• P1020293.jpg
    P1020293.jpg
    148.5 KB · Views: 3
  • P1020294.jpg
    P1020294.jpg
    145 KB · Views: 3
  • P1020301.jpg
    P1020301.jpg
    148.6 KB · Views: 3
  • P1020305.jpg
    P1020305.jpg
    146.4 KB · Views: 3

boatnut74

Lieutenant Commander

Thanks for the post boatnut74. Was there any difference to the '69 medallion as compared to the earlier ones? What kind of motor do you have on it and what speeds will you see? As you can probably tell I'm on the hunt for an engine and would just like to know what size would be appropriate.

Have a nice day!

Mine came with a 65hp but I never got to run it as the controls were broken when I got it. From looking at similiar boats I would assume a 90hp would get it up to the upper 30's or low 40's for speed. I'm looking for a V4 Johnson/Evinrude in the 80-90hp range. Our boats appear to be almost identically built so I don't think they changed much in those few years.

shimanok2

Seaman

I was originally going to do the same, get a 70-90 VRO. I do however like my gas mileage and will most likely be getting a 4 stroke. I like the Honda 60 for the fuel economy alone, but am concerned it will struggle with a few people and gear. I'm not even close to putting an engine on it, so once the time comes I'll probably visit a bunch of dealers to get their input.

Looking at yours is making me wonder what the actual differences are. They must be subtle...

boatnut74

Lieutenant Commander

I think 60hp would be alright, but it all depends on what you plan to do with the boat. If you end up getting a VRO I would recommend bypassing the oil injection. It is nice to have but if the pump ever goes out it will fry the powerhead in a matter of minutes.

I can't see any differences between our boats. It will be fun watching each others progress.

shimanok2

Seaman

I plan on doing lots of cruising, maybe some trolling. Two of the places this boat will be used at are somewhat isolated and not accessible via roads, so the need to carry a few people and gear/food/beer/extra gas/extra beer is there. I'm 99% on getting a 4 stroke, unless an amazing 2stroke deal presents itself.

Oh it will definitely be fun, especially once they're both close to being done.

epitman2

Recruit
Thank you for showing me the key of the transom removal. I have a 62 medallion with a 68 mercury 100hp and I can run 38 mph 2 people 34 with 6 people. I have had this boat for 6 years and have had it every where even on the ocean.

shimanok2

Seaman
Thank you for showing me the key of the transom removal. I have a 62 medallion with a 68 mercury 100hp and I can run 38 mph 2 people 34 with 6 people. I have had this boat for 6 years and have had it every where even on the ocean.

Epitman2, I'm glad this info helped you out. I didnt even see your response, sorry mine is late... Are you re-doing yours? You have any pictures?

I ended up buying a foreclosed house the end of 2012 and havent had the time, money or energy to work on the medallion. If I cant get to working on it this year I may sell and buy something more complete. I'd really really like to get out on the water.

Status
Not open for further replies.