61 larkiii starting problems

i just replaced the points and condensers and double checked the wiring,installed new solenoid and key switch-all terminals have ben cleand or replaced-it still won't start-it is getting fuel and replaced the filter-could my cutout switch or safety switch be bad?-am i able to run without these or do i need to replace them?my manual suggests a troubleshoot but doesn't say in detail-am i able to connect coil wires and bypass switch?model number is 35524 -thanx in advance for all info posted so far

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 61 larkiii starting problems

Howdy and welcome, jetdeville. :) <br /><br />Go to the Engine FAQs and do the troubleshooting for "Outboard wont start".<br /><br />Let us know what you find, we will be more able to help with the added info.<br /><br />Good luck. :)

CATransplant

Admiral
Re: 61 larkiii starting problems

Couple of questions: Is the starter working and the engine being turned over by it? If so, then you need to do a check for spark on both cylinders.<br /><br />If there is no spark, then there's another thing you can check. On that engine, there are two black wires which come down from under the flywheel. Trace those wires to where they go and disconnect them. Check the spark again.<br /><br />If there's still no spark, then you'll need to check the points and coils on the flywheel. After pulling the recoil start assembly, you can check, clean, and adjust the points by removing the inspection plate on the flywheel. Any further service will require flywheel removal.