'61 Crestliner Arabian Deluxe resto

jbcurt00

Staff member
Re: '61 Crestliner Arabian Deluxe resto

Do you need a small 1961 3hp OB? Want 1?

If yes to either, then probably, depending on what's wrong w/ it.....

Restore & sell? Only if you LOVE doing it & working for free is ok since it's a hobby you LOVE....

If it were mine to do, I'd probably get it running & run it, as she looks, if I had a use for a 3hp OB. Paint's in pretty good shape, and no damage in the pix you posted, so I wouldn't touch the paint....

59 Fatty

Petty Officer 1st Class

Do you need a small 1961 3hp OB? Want 1?

If yes to either, then probably, depending on what's wrong w/ it.....

Restore & sell? Only if you LOVE doing it & working for free is ok since it's a hobby you LOVE....

If it were mine to do, I'd probably get it running & run it, as she looks, if I had a use for a 3hp OB. Paint's in pretty good shape, and no damage in the pix you posted, so I wouldn't touch the paint....

Hey there JB,
Well in answer to your first two questions; yes, I sort of need one, and yes I want one, now I have one! This little engine runs now, so I think I'll rebuild the carb, new plugs, and new impeller will probably do it. I think the coils are fine, he ran this engine VERY seldom. And yes the paint looks great, not doing anything there. Thanks for the comments, I like this little engine a lot.
Dave

jbcurt00

Staff member

Good, not only are we reading the same book, we're reading from the same paragraph :cool:

59 Fatty

Petty Officer 1st Class

The points and condensors look brand new, but the coils are all cracked. I assume I'll need 2 new coils?? The new plugs are installed.

ssdale

Starmada Splash of the Year 2016

IMG_3684.JPG

Nice find 59! Made me smile when I read your post as I ran across a decent 1959 3hp Sea King a few years ago and asked myself the same questions. Needless to say I have it. Used it a half dozen times on an old 14' aluminum Applebee (Starcraft decals) that started my boat addiction (long story). So lightweight and no tank to mess with etc. Plus they are just plain cool.!!

Yours' is a real gem.!!!!!!!!!!

59 Fatty

Petty Officer 1st Class

Started the last stage of the floor tear out. The false floor deck came out fairily easy. Some rot, but not too bad. The balsa core in the center all the way to the front was wet. I am sure glad I found this now. It will be better and stronger than before.
9-8-13 025.jpgBEFORE
2-9-14 123.jpgAFTER
2-9-14 110.jpgFALSE FLOOR AND FOOT REST BOARD

59 Fatty

Petty Officer 1st Class

Score on the little 3hp! Sweet motor. It's even the same era as the 33hp. Here's a handy link.

3 HP Evinrude Johnson Outboard Tune-Up Procedure 1952-1967

Nice link!!! I will definitely be referring to that a lot. I did a spark check yesterday. Nothing. Coils are cracked, need to replace them and the points and condensers. Going to do a compression check tonight, that will tell me what need to be done to the power head. I'm glad I didn't pay a lot for this motor. The entire parts list will be around 125-150 bucks. But after that, it should be valued at what I have into it. That is a first for me. :)

59 Fatty

Petty Officer 1st Class

Finally was able to get a puller small enough to get the flywheel off. It was on there good too. I think I will be able to re use these coils though.20140214_081244.jpg

kfa4303

Banned

Sure, a bit of duct tape and they'll be fine:) Thankfully, new coils are only about $25 each and they'll last forever. You may as well get some new spark plug wire and point & condensers, then you will have rebuilt the entire ignition system. Here are a couple more handy links.

http://forums.iboats.com/johnson-evinrude-outboards/grandads-johnson-seahorse-10-a-506678-2.html
Johnson

They aren't kidding when they call them "Fat 50s" that thing is Hoss!!!!! The crazy part about motors of this era is that while they're bulky, they also tend to be surprisingly light. I could pick my '66 33hp up with surprising ease and my '66 20hp can be carried in one hand, if need be.

jbcurt00

Staff member

Yeah, I won't be picking up a fat 50 anytime soon, and if I did, it certainly wouldn't be easy.......

59 Fatty

Petty Officer 1st Class

floor removal 1.jpg Yes, the 50hp Johnny engine weighs about 200 lbs. there is NO WAY I can pick it up (for very long). I have the floor of the boat torn out and ready to put in the core material. BUT, I still am not sure what core material I'm going to use. I am leaning toward Divinycell (sp) but I am open to suggestions. Also will probably use all polyester resin for the buildups, patching, bedding and glassing in the core material. Then build a new raised floor area to replace what was there. See the flickr page Flickr: reefroamers' Photostream for views of the floor upside down in the boathouse. some rot, but the factory looks like they used what was just lying around to make this boat! floor removal 2.jpg

jbcurt00

Staff member

Wish I could be of more assistance w/ the re-coring, if it's w/in the budget, I would certainly consider rebuilding the core out of something other then balsa. But for lightweight, low cost and probably a few more I can't come up w/ yet, Balsa is hard to beat for coring, else it wouldn't be widely used in the industry. I have only limited knowledge to base that on, and could very well be wrong.

Installed correctly, properly glassed over and well cared for, the balsa core should serve you long term as most of this rebuilt boat will. Even if you use polyester resin & ACX (exterior) or Aurauco plywood instead of Marine or Okume plywood & epoxy resin.

59 Fatty

Petty Officer 1st Class

I'm going to use balsa for many reasons. And as you said, if installed correctly it will last long enough. I will install it correctly. And since there isn't too much plywood, one sheet of marine grade should do it. I'll use poly for buildup with CSM, and biaxial matt for last top layer with epoxy so I can paint it nicely. Then on to the exterior. I poked 4 little holes in the hull removing the balsa, it was brittle glasswork. That will be addresses before the balsa goes in with CSM and patches in 2" overlap configuration using alternating layers of cloth and CSM. I am contemplating doing the entire interior all the way up to the cap with the biax for strength. This is the ugly part of resto, so I'll save you the sufferage of looking at pictures.

59 Fatty

Petty Officer 1st Class

2-22-14 040.jpg Ready to start the REALLY dusty part!

59 Fatty

Petty Officer 1st Class

After all that cutting and grinding, I have fixed the holes made during the wood removal, and laid in some biax over the spoonbill bow/keel area. There was some filler there, in good shape. Maybe a repair from a grounding earlier. In any case it is sealed in with the biaxial. If it needs further attention, that will be evident when I flip her over and start the hull.3-23-14 002.jpg The entire inside is getting a layer of 6oz. cloth before the core marerial THEN final layer of cloth. I have not determined what will be the top layer of glass on the inside. Any suggestions? I will probably do one final layer of epoxy to smooth it out and prep for painting.

59 Fatty

Petty Officer 1st Class
Well I am just about finished with the 3 HP 1961 JW-17 Johnson. I have replaced the coils, the condensers, the points, the spark plugs, the plug wires, the lower gear lube, the impeller, and rebuilt the carb. I don't think I missed anything. Still too hot to work in the boathouse. It was 110 degrees in there yesterday. As soon as the heat calms down a bit, I'll be back into glassin' Bluebeard. I will also post a video of the 3 HP running as soon as it's all back together.

59 Fatty

Petty Officer 1st Class
Well I am just about finished with the 3 HP 1961 JW-17 Johnson. I have replaced the coils, the condensers, the points, the spark plugs, the plug wires, the lower gear lube, the impeller, and rebuilt the carb. I don't think I missed anything. Still too hot to work in the boathouse. It was 110 degrees in there yesterday. As soon as the heat calms down a bit, I'll be back into glassin' Bluebeard. I will also post a video of the 3 HP running as soon as it's all back together.

59 Fatty

Petty Officer 1st Class
Well not running yet, but just about done. The impeller and the plug wires come tomorrow. I'm sure I will start it soon after that.