$6000 Can't buy me happiness !!!

b.gagnon

Master Chief Petty Officer
I am looking to buy a used outboard in the135-150hp range. I (my wife) gave myself a budget of $5000-$6000.... I thought I would have a world of options above the year 2001 for that price but all I can find is a 2002 Suzuki df140 with 800 or so hrs. Installed with controls and prop for 6g's.. I am tempted to go for it but I worry it won't have the power out of the hole that my 1989 Mercury v6 135hp has. I know that the suzuki is a great motor but I would love to find an Optimax!

The boat is a 1989 Sea Ray Laguna 17' with an 8' beam, and is rated for a 135hp. It weighs 2360lbs with motor dry! + it holds 50gal of fuel aprox 300lbs. so now we are up to 2660lbs without any gear. Does anyone have any Ideas where to look, and do you think the Suzuki can handle the weight of the boat? Also does the price of the Suzuki seems reasonable?

Last edited:

bilge rat jim

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: $6000 Can't buy me happiness !!!

Personally, I think trying to flog a 12 year old outboard for more than 1/2 of the original price is outrageous, but as with buying anything, price is determined by whatever the market will bear. Have patience, B.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Gee, I paid $1K from my '93 Merc 135HPV6, about 5 years ago. I recommend you keep shopping.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

Four strokes hold their value very well and with 800 hrs, it's just getting broken in. You're probably paying more for installation than the motor

I'm will to beat the Suzuki will blow that 25 year old, worn out Mercury away...

jbjennings

Captain

Most of your good used outboards still have a boat under them. Maybe look for package deals and go from there. Outboards in good shape alone are going to be hard to find unless you talk to a dealer who will want a hefty price for them.

b.gagnon

I called the insurance company today and they have no problem with me overpowering the boat and putting a 150 on it!!!!!
So now I feel like I would be crazy not to do it. I just can't get the Suzuki out of my mind. Every boat that I have been on with one has left me in wonder as to how quiet and smooth they are. Unfortunately I have never been on a boat with a 4-stroke that impressed me with low end power. I don't care much about top speed but I can't stand a bad hole shot!

TD_Maker

Chief Petty Officer

4 Strokes are very quiet. 4 Strokes are also dogs when it comes to hole shot. The used outboard market is getting better as more people convert to 4 strokes. I purchased a 2003 Johnson 90 V-4 (Bombardier) fresh water motor for $2100 including all system matched controls and gauges. My motor came off a fresh water pontoon in Kentucky (Where my Dad lived) This motor will SMOKE any 4 stroke motor thru 115 hp easily. The strong 2 stroke gets my boat up fast and takes off.

I have my Dads pontoon boat with a 40hp Honda as well. This little 4 stroke motor runs like a sewing machine...and it's so quiet and fuel efficient. But the little motor is a dog when it comes to low end performance. But then again, it is a pontoon.

I do have a question for you. Is your 135 Mercury just worn out? For half of your budget, I would be tempted to rebuild your motor and make it like-new again. Your V-6 is a great motor (just a de-tuned 150 really) My opinion is that if you are used to the hole shot of a V-6 Mercury 2 stroke, you will never be happy with the hole shot of a 4 stroke.

b.gagnon

I broke the steering arm trying to free the steering and the only way to fix it is to remove the power head and lower unit....There is a good chance that I could end up being $1000 deep by the time I'm done. It's an old motor and I'm sure I will find things that will need fixing before re-assembly (Motor mounts are a mess,gaskets). I am kind of anal about stuff like that. I would love to find a parts motor and put my head on it but I am not finding any. I'm sure if I waited until the season gets going that I would find something but I want to be using it at that time not fixing it! Otherwise the motor runs good and strong! I would also like to get something newer. Outboards have come a long way and for the first time I actually have a little $$$ to upgrade. In the past I would have fixed it by now but as time has passed my time has become more important than money(I don't have much!)

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner

You will not be happy with a 4 stroke. They take so long to plane, your old merc would have taken you to your destination and back before the 4 stoke was at WOT