60 hp johnson stalling problems , in gear adjustment not working or imporper

morf33

Recruit
hello all
92 60 hp Johnson , had for two years was rebuilt from my knowledge when we bought it from a boat shop .
we had it installed on a pontoon boat . ran great but now when you start it up it dies at times . when you put in gear you have to time it just right so it will stay running . if you go down to neutral it will die out . restart it then have to put it in reverse and give it some gas so it wont die . just its getting annoying . i do notice when idling it does idle good for a few seconds then the rmp lowers and then it dies . in neutral and in gear . i tried to adjust the low idle screws at the top of the carbs doing each backing it out counter clockwise it idled a little better but still stalling out . i am not sure i am doing the low idle right or if i am just causing more issues . i marked were it was at before i started adjusting it but no reference except what i read on here in a few post . i think the idle is to low to begin with but the tach was not working i heard 700 in gear 900 idle in neutral . is there any other way besides the low idle screws on the carb to bring the idle up properly . and then once its to the idle that it needs to be at then adjust the low idle or ?
anyone please help me

Last edited:
Re: 60 hp johnson stalling problems , in gear adjustment not working or imporper

hello all
92 60 hp Johnson , had for two years was rebuilt from my knowledge when we bought it from a boat shop .
we had it installed on a pontoon boat . ran great but now when you start it up it dies at times . when you put in gear you have to time it just right so it will stay running . if you go down to neutral it will die out . restart it then have to put it in reverse and give it some gas so it wont die . just its getting annoying . i do notice when idling it does idle good for a few seconds then the rmp lowers and then it dies . in neutral and in gear . i tried to adjust the low idle screws at the top of the carbs doing each backing it out counter clockwise it idled a little better but still stalling out . i am not sure i am doing the low idle right or if i am just causing more issues . i marked were it was at before i started adjusting it but no reference except what i read on here in a few post . i think the idle is to low to begin with but the tach was not working i heard 700 in gear 900 idle in neutral . is there any other way besides the low idle screws on the carb to bring the idle up properly . and then once its to the idle that it needs to be at then adjust the low idle or ?
anyone please help me

If you press the choke just before he die, does it still go off ?