6 years later, I'm finally a college grad

skibug

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Six years of Hell, and I am finally done with college. Graduated with my Electrical Enineering degree. I had to work through college to support myself and my wife and now my 6 month old beautiful daughter. But I finally made it. Had my last class this past monday. I was hired by the Navy (Civil Service) and love my job. I have been doing a two year internship with them and they decided to keep me aboard now that I am graduated. I will get a nice pay increase to go along with my degree, which is nice. My wife will finally be able to go part time and be there for our daughter more.

Now I just have to try and keep myself from going and spending all of my new found wealth on the money pit in the driveway (18ft Caravelle Fish and Ski). Not really a money pit, but my wife says I always have to spend money on it whether it needs it or not.

rwise

Captain
Re: 6 years later, I'm finally a college grad

CONGRATS! hug play with that little girl all you can they grow up way to fast.

jall65

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Congrats. Skibug.... d:)

POINTER94

Vice Admiral

EE degree. Not an easy program, good for you. Remember you don't spend money on the boat, you invest in it's future. Has worked to date for me.8)

Tyme2fish

Commander

Six Years? Don't feel bad, graduated from High School in 1967 and finally got my degree in 1977!!. Had to take time off from 1970 to 1972 for Uncle Sam. Had to join the Army to pay for college. The G.I. Bill was a Godsend.
I also put my wife through college. But as soon as we graduated she left me. Go figure!
Don't spend all of the "new" money. Take the max that you can for I.R.A.'s and retirement. It will be there for you in the future.

skibug

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Tyme2Fish

I already contribute to my retirement a few ways. I am in the process of opening up a roth IRA here soon also. I am a firm believer in being able to retire by age 55. 8)

studlymandingo

Commander

Congrats! Took me almost 7 years to get a degree; I was a musician travelling constantly and I changed my major a couple of times. I finally went in to see my guidance counselor, we sat down to see what credits I had and /or lacked for a diploma. Finally she said to me "You have enough credits, let's see what we can put together". I ended up with a Mass Communications major with a minor in English. It was mid-semester, I was issued a diploma, and never walked across the stage.

If you find yourself needing some new boat stuff, buy a nice pair of earrings and give them to your wife first; it seems to somehow cancel out the boating purchase.

Fly Rod

Commander

8) CONGRATULATIONS!!!!8)

Limited-Time

Vice Admiral

Congrats on a major life accomplishment!! Time to reap the rewards of your hard work.

danpemby

Chief Petty Officer

Way to go, Teach that baby to fish!

skibug

Petty Officer 3rd Class

danpemby said:
Way to go, Teach that baby to fish!

I may teach her to fish, but she will learn to ski first. I am a big ski/wakeboard guy before I fish. I enjoy fishing, but a different boat will be in order for fishing. Hmmmmm thoughts are running through my head as we speak. 8)

tommays

Admiral

Congrats to you

my wife will finish her masters in 8 months i hope i life through it :)

Tommays

TAV MAN

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Just remember no one can ever it from you. Good luck and Great Job.:p

Kiwi Phil

Commander

Good on you mate. That is quite an achievement.
Hope everything goes well for you.
Cheers
Phillip

bassman284

Commander

skibug said:
Six years of Hell, and I am finally done with college. Graduated with my Electrical Enineering degree. I had to work through college to support myself and my wife and now my 6 month old beautiful daughter. But I finally made it. Had my last class this past monday. I was hired by the Navy (Civil Service) and love my job. I have been doing a two year internship with them and they decided to keep me aboard now that I am graduated. I will get a nice pay increase to go along with my degree, which is nice. My wife will finally be able to go part time and be there for our daughter more.

Now I just have to try and keep myself from going and spending all of my new found wealth on the money pit in the driveway (18ft Caravelle Fish and Ski). Not really a money pit, but my wife says I always have to spend money on it whether it needs it or not.

6 years is weak, dude. I took 23 years to get mine. You really need to learn to hang in there longer.

bassman284

Commander

Just kidding above, obviously. Congratulations on getting your degree. No feeling in the world like finally having that diploma in hand.

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

Way to go, man! My son got his EE degree. The hard werk has just begun, BUT it will pay-off in the "big picture". And dittos to what rwise said. They do grow up faster than you could possibly fathom.
Enjoy your short one-on-one time with her.
And it's never too early to plan for your retirement. Trust me on that.

AK_Chappy

Lieutenant

bassman284 said:
6 years is weak, dude. I took 23 years to get mine. You really need to learn to hang in there longer.

I hear ya! Man, six years is short-time. It took me 19 1/2 years to get my Associates!! :)

Working on my Bachelor's now.

That whole life thing got in the way.

Seriously though,
Congrats!!

AK Chappy