5HP Gamefisher Question

ben2go

Chief Petty Officer
I have a 1980 5HP Sears Gamefisher outboard model 217-585460.I need to find info on the fuel hose routing and on/off valve.This motor has an on board tank as well as a connection for an external tank.When the motor was given to me,I knew the fuel hose routing was wrong.Should the fuel valve turn the on board tank on/off or should it turn the external tank on off?Seems like it should turn the on board tank on and off or the fuel pump would suck air though it, when the external tank is connected.Is this correct?Also,what is good compression number for this engine?I've been told everything from 60psi to 120psi.I'm confused. :confused:

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
Re: 5HP Gamefisher Question

In a sense when the remote is disconnected the line is turned off by the connector.So the valve would be to turn on and off the integral tank.
Rule of thumb for all motors 100 psi is acceptable.though smaller motors like yours 60 psi would be.
These motors are marginal performers I wouldn't invest much money until it shows it can run dependably.(A tough assignment)

ben2go

Chief Petty Officer

In a sense when the remote is disconnected the line is turned off by the connector.So the valve would be to turn on and off the integral tank.
Rule of thumb for all motors 100 psi is acceptable.though smaller motors like yours 60 psi would be.
These motors are marginal performers I wouldn't invest much money until it shows it can run dependably.(A tough assignment)

Yeah, I am not going to drop much money into it.It was a freebee.I feel that $100 in parts is the max if I know the engine will last 2 or 3 years.So far I have $3 in the motor for a new spark plug.I redone the ignition and got a good spark.Didn't have to buy any parts.Also stripped and cleaned the carb.Everything there looked real good.There was a little dirt but not much.There was no discoloration inside the carb which surprised me.No varnish or oil sludge.I haven't tried to start the motor since I done this work.I wanna get new fuel line and a new fuel valve.I'll try to do a compression check if I can borrow a gauge and adapter.Thanks for the help.

miacris305

Recruit

I have a 5 hp gamefisher model 225.587505 serial# 0E044776
Can anyone tell my what year this may be?
Is this a good engine?
The primer has been worned out is the prime needed or can it be cancelled?

ben2go

Chief Petty Officer

I have a 5 hp gamefisher model 225.587505 serial# 0E044776
Can anyone tell my what year this may be?
Is this a good engine?
The primer has been worned out is the prime needed or can it be cancelled?

You need to keep the primmer bulb.Replace it if nessasary.I believe your motor is a late 80's or early 90's OMC Force made Gamefisher.It's not in my book and my book stops at 1985.It should be a good engine if it has been taken care of.