59 rude foot removal

MrPhotographer06

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I've got to replace the prop shaft seal i think. my mechanic said to remove the foot and take it to him and he can pressure and vacumm test it and give me the exact seal it is.

to remove the"foot" is this all i need to remove? these 4 bolts?

Attachments

• Evinrude.JPG
    Evinrude.JPG
    60.1 KB · Views: 0

lindy46

Captain
Re: 59 rude foot removal

You should remove the bolts on the lower unit, not the extension. You also have to remove the rear exhaust housing cover to get to a large vertical bolt that holds the whole thing together. Then you need to remove the bolt that holds the shift rod linkage. Remove the small rectangular plate on the side of the exhaust housing and REMOVE the bolt under the plate to release the lower shift rod. Put the shift lever in reverse to make it easier to access the bolt through the window. When you put it back together, you have to coordinate the driveshaft, the two water tubes and the shift lever at one time to get them all back in place. Easier if you have two people. Put the shift lever in forward, get the driveshaft in place (may take turning the flywheel slightly to get it to engage), line up the two water tubes so they go back in the water pump housing grommets, and then put in a couple of lower unit bolts to hold it. Now you can drop the shift lever into reverse and maneuver the upper shift rod back into the connector. Make sure the groove in the shift rod can be seen through the bolt hole in the connector, and then replace the bolt.Good luck!

MrPhotographer06

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 59 rude foot removal

got it of pretty easy, i took the extension off at first but i put it back on later..

i had to call my coach and he told me about the shift rod but i got it off.. pretty easy!

now to get it tested