59 Johnson 35hp oil fual ratio

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 59 Johnson 35hp oil fual ratio

R.Johnson, not disputing your knowledge at all, but when you state something you have tried and it worked, why not say the manual says ---- but, in my experience, i have tried this------, and it has worked also. this is CYA. that gives them the opportunity to make a choice. i recommended anyone who has a motor in warranty to see the dealer, before they screw up their warranty. after warranty is dead, do what you want.

as i have found with a poor idle while trolling open the plug gap, .005 - .010 improves the trolling. not recommended but it works.

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

It plainly says they reccommend 50:1 in motors listed at 24:1 --ONLY if Johnson 50:1 lubricant is used.

While I have nothing but the greatest respect for both you and OMC, I think we all pretty much get why a manufacturer would say its ok only with their oil.

I also have an appreciation for why folks tend to err towards caution on these boards. That said, I think TD has it right ... say what you know about the manufacturer's recommendations, if you know them, and then describe your own success with whatever deviations from those recommendations you have successfully employed. The readers of these forums are adult people who can make decisions for themselves. They also bear responsibility to satisfy themselves that the information that they are receiving is either valid in general and/or applicable to their particular situation.

spy1309

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Guys no offence this is the reason I am asking and claiming conflicting posts about the oil.
Some say 24:1 some 50:1, well I don't have the factory manual but if somebody have it just post what they recomend for the 1960 Johnson motors.
Now I understand that in today US of A everybody sues everybody but lets face it to sue for something like this it will cost more than the motor in question.
I understand that the new oils are alot better than the old types so you can go with a lower mix but this is the choice of the owner, well if for me it means 50:1/ one quart per 6 gal, at my own risk I can go 24:1, 30:1, 40:1.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

The manual says 24:1, as does OMC (except for the memo posted by FR).

If FR says he runs 24:1 in his 59, that would be good enough for me. Although I am not you.

I would not say run one way or another, but if you were to run 24:1 use a fuel additive, and an annual decarb and plug change. Although as stated, it is your decision and yours alone.

Here is a handy chart for premixing.

"http://www.tohatsu.com/tech_info/oil_gas.html"

wbeaton

Commander

As posted many times 24:1 is the official ratio. This is always a heated debate with motors of this size and larger.

BoatBuoy

Rear Admiral

The way I look at it is the difference between 50:1 and 24:1 in a 6 gal. tank of fuel is about a pint of oil - cheap insurance when you start pricing parts for vintage motors. I choose not to take the risk...And I get another post count.

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

I understand that the new oils are alot better than the old types so you can go with a lower mix but this is the choice of the owner, well if for me it means 50:1/ one quart per 6 gal, at my own risk I can go 24:1, 30:1, 40:1.

I think you are confusing oil mix ratios. A ratio of 50:1 means 50 parts gasoline to one part oil. The correct amount of oil to be added to gasoline for a 50:1 mixture is about 15.3 fluid ounces, which is a bit under a pint ... not a quart. Mixtures of 24:1, 30:1 or 40:1 involve less gasoline per volume of oil so you are not risking your engine further by using them.

I think what astounds me the most about these discussions is that, as detailed in a post above, OMC has even said that a 50:1 mix is ok if an improved oil is used. Since the typical TCW III sold now is a much better oil than the OMC oil that was recommeded in that statement, the idea that engines are going to suffer excessive wear, blow up, etc. by using them at 50:1 just doesn't make any sense. Blindly following recommendations set forth almost 50 years ago, and which were made based upon lubrication technology of that time period, really doesn't make much sense.

wbeaton

Commander

I think what astounds me the most about these discussions is that, as detailed in a post above, OMC has even said that a 50:1 mix is ok if an improved oil is used.

Just to throw a wrench in that theory...OMC also recommended 100:1 for some models in the 1980's-90's instead of 50:1 too. Now they don't.

Today they say 24:1 for his motor. Tomorrow who knows?

spy1309

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thank you guys and my mistake regarding the ratios.
Well since I got the motor last year I had a habit of adding in the gas some sea foam and Marvel Mystery oil so they will provide some extra lubrication.
Now regardless I will always seek the opinion of the ,,old guard" in the motor boating world.....keep up the good advice with no tought of getting sued for it.

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral

Yeah, today's oils are much better than those in the 50s...but is a bushing is still a bushing and not a bearing. Glad you have success running yours at 50:1. I'll stick with the original specs, even today's modern, high-tech oils are cheaper to replace than a blown powerhead.

CATransplant

Admiral

I haven't been posting here a lot lately, I'm afraid, but this is a subject that I really feel strongly about.

Your 1959 outboard is almost 50 years old, now. I doubt very much that it's full of new parts, internally. It's a classic, and a wonderful engine. My old RDS-20 was my favorite outboard of all time.

Here's how I see this question:

There is no negative consequence to running at 24:1. None. It costs a tiny bit more per tankful, but not enough to bother about. It's what was recommended at the time by the factory, and it is what they recommend for that engine today.

I can't see how there is a question here, frankly. 24:1 won't make your engine have less power. It won't foul plugs, as long as you're using the recommended plug. It doesn't even smoke all that much when the engine's warm and running at anything over an idle.

Now...what can happen with 50:1. Well, it lubricates a little less well. Remember, you may have some 50 year old parts in there being lubricated by the mix. Why take the risk?

Your engine has lasted 50 years...almost...using 24:1. Look around you at this year's model outboards. How many of those do you suppose will be running in 2058?

Baby the old girl a little. There's no performance increase with 50:1, so spend the extra buck per tank and go boating. Do your regular maintenance, and your engine may well still be running in 2058. (Buy a few impellers and other expendibles, though...they probably won't be available by then).