59' 35 hp cutout wiring

electric603

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I just bought my boat with this engine on it. Previous owner said engine did not have spark. When I took the coveyr off I noticed the wires for the cutout button and the wire on the mercury switch were disconnected. Can anyone tell me where they go or does anyone have a diagram? Also there is no starter on this motor. Can I put one on it? Thank you.

Beek14

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 59' 35 hp cutout wiring

This is a 1959 35 hp Johnson or Evinrude? If so, there should be two leads with snap clips that come from the magneto that plug into the kill switch leads (that complete the circuit and the button cuts out the power as it is pushed). Very simple design on those but very efficient. Does the outboard have a manual recoil starter on it?

electric603

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yes, it is a Johnson. It has a pull start on it. It looks like there's only one lead comming from the magneto. Does the other. lead from the button connect to ground? Thank you for the reply.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

Here is a wiring diagram for your motor, it is for electric start though, so edit it as required. You can get electric start on your motor, with a few purchases. If the coils are original, they are dead and will need to be replaced. Pull the inspection window on the flywheel to view them.

Wiring1958-61_35-40hpwithoutgenerat.jpg

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Kill button substitutes for the two "M" terminals on the key switch. You will have a single mercury switch, ignore the second section which is only on electric start models.

electric603

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks F_R and High trim. The diagram is just what I needed.