'58 Evinrude 18hp Point Adjust Problem

RSchendel

Seaman
I am installing a new set of Sierra points. One side adjusts fine to .020. The other side has too wide of gap when the cam is at the high point and the adjusting screw is set to the narrowest setting. Can I try to bend the cam side of the points to get closer? The fixed side can be bent for alignment, but not to close the gap.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: '58 Evinrude 18hp Point Adjust Problem

Take them back to the store for replacement. You don't have to dink around with defective merchandise.

Sir Robin

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Agree with fr. But..... maybe the adjstment screw was replaced with a straight screw. Point adj. screw has an offset head...... so the gap will open and close

RSchendel

Seaman

I got it adjusted. Probably will try to get OMC next time. Ended up adjusting the fixed side and slightly enlarging the hole for the cammed adjusting screw. I purchased online so returning would be a bit of a hassle.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Quote: "I purchased online so returning would be a bit of a hassle." Depends on what on-line site. I'd hate to think that iboats would be a hassle, if that is where you got them. Of course I have no authority, but I'll bet a simple phone call would get them replaced.

Sir Robin

Petty Officer 2nd Class

good to hear its going. will most likley be another 10 years before having to do it again

RSchendel

Seaman

Yes, Amazon has easy returns, but i want to use the motor next week. If i could not have adjusted, I would have returned and purchased locally. I found a local dealer after I made the online order.

Sir Robin

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Those 18's are great motors

Sir Robin

Petty Officer 2nd Class

We got one that we hopped up a tad... boysen reeds, ported, polished exhaust tune ect ect...... GREAT runner, still uses about the same amount of fuel, and is SNAPPY on low end

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

You never have to order points for those 18's online. All local OMC dealors will have them in stock. All OMC's from 1951 till the late 70's, 1.5hp to 40hp will work. Don't ever buy Sierra parts. I only buy OEM at the dealor and never had a problem in the 20 years I've worked on motors. Just my 2 cents:cool: