57johnson outboard

maze

Seaman Apprentice
i first asked about wiring harness but i do play with small engines why cant i put a voltage regulator from a tractor and change the ac voltaqe to 12 volts and charge my battery

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 57johnson outboard

Howdy, Maze. Tractor regulators vary the field strength in the alternator. That can't be done on your old Johnny. <br /><br />There is no reason that you can't use your alternator to charge your battery, but you will need to provide more info about your engine if you want advice on how to do it.<br /><br />Red sky at night. . .<br />JB :)

maze

Seaman Apprentice

motor is a 57 has electric start has no alternator or generator thats why i was toying in changint the mag voltage like a briggs or kolher does thanks for help so far maze

CAPTBLACKSMARINE

Petty Officer 2nd Class

MAZE, IF I Am following you right on the motor you have ,then you can't do it because with out a generator there is nothing on the motor making enough power to charge a battery .the magneto is inside the distibutor and i know of no way to do this .but if someone does know i would be just as interested to find out how as you would .unless yor motor is or has something on it that i have never seen then i don't see it happening.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Howdy, Maze.<br /><br />We need to know if your '57 electric start engine is a RD, RDE or RJE model (all 35hp), or some other.<br /><br />RDE and RJE can be converted to install a 12v generator kit. You might even be able to convert a RD to a RDE or RDJ. I still don't know what engine you have.<br /><br />Again, you have to tell us everything about your engine for us to be able to help you.<br /><br />Red sky at night. . .<br />JB :)

rolmops

Vice Admiral

Hi Maze.<br />We seem to have the same problem.To add a generator to your 1957 rje 19 35 horse you will have to change your port side bracket to one that has a generator housing which is easy if you have dont have a carburator air intake sound muffler. If you do you might have trouble finding a replacement with generator housing.Then you need a generator.There is one on e-bay now with about a day and a half left before the auction closes the seller is "oblman" or something like that.Than you must buy a regulator.The small ones that fit inside the little white box where your harnass ends in ,are about a hundred box Then there is the drive belt.The bloody things are about 42 dollars new,but they are avilable.If you are willing to improvise you can use an old ford regulator there.<br />Remember you do not need a generator to run this engine it is only for starting.The generator will charge the battery only when you run the engine above 1500 rpm or it actually might drain the battery.This means that you must have an ammometer.The good news is that in your original harness you do have the connecting wires for a generator,the ones that are just sitting on the side going nowhere.<br />If you dont need a lot of electric power on your boat,you might be better off storing a second battery in your boat and buying a 30 box trickle charger at sears to charge the batteries while you are of the water.<br />Good luck. :)

Lark40

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I have a similar situation with my 1960 Lark 40, which is basically the same design as your engine.<br /><br />I researched installing the generator setup, and got a lot of feedback from old mechanics and other owners.<br /><br />Decided to just keep two batteries in the boat. Charge them at home between uses. Less expensive and more reliable than the generator and its components. <br /><br />Of course, If you need electricity to power accessories with a heavy battery drain, then buying the generator setup is your only option.

rwise

Captain

maze, and others<br />some dealers (old dealers) still have the kit for these engines. I found one for about $400. it includes everthing you need to add it on (if your engine has the mount). myself, i put in a second battery, picked up a $5 charger at a yard sale. when I go out (cat fishing) we run all night on one batery useing an electric trolling moter and a depth finder! I have a vacation coming up and will check to see if he still has it, if he does I will post his phone #<br /><br />Richard

maze

Seaman Apprentice

thanks everyone it does look like my best option is like everyone else and go with a second battery this is a play toy homebuilt hydrocatpower catamaran built in 1976 just fixing it up for show and fun it is neat 2 pontoons 14.6 long brinht yellow thanks for all imfo maze