'56 10HP Lower Unit Install??

Trailbum

Seaman
1956 Evinrude 10HP, Removed the lower unit to repace the water pump impeller...... Now trying to get the lower unit back on..... Cannot get the driveshaft to mesh back into the crankshaft. Of course, there's no way to see into it to ensure that the 4-spline (square) end of the driveshaft is even lining up with the square hole at the bottom of the crankshaft!!! I can get it to within an inch or so, with the water tube into the water pump, and the leg and lower unit are parallel so it "should" drop in, but the prop lust spins (in gear of course) and absolutely will NOT mesh with the crankshaft. I fought with it for hours and shouted all the right obscenities at it!!! Still no go... Am I doing something wrong, or does anyone know a trick or secret way to align the driveshaft to the crankshaft without being able to see any of it, short of pulling the GD powerhead and bolting on the lower unit first???? TIA!!

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral
Re: '56 10HP Lower Unit Install??

Take the sparkplug leads off the sparkplugs and turn the flywheel as you hold the gearcase in place. It should pop into place in less than 1/4 turn.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

With all your frustrations, it is awfully hard to convince you that it's easy, isn't it? All I can say is you aren't hitting the hole. There is an unsplined recess in the end of the crank. Once you get the drive shaft end into that recess, it a piece of cake to turn it and pop it in the rest of the way. I'd say you are missing it altogether.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

You could try inverting it.put the powerhead on a pillow or something.Take a peek at the crankshaft to be sure nothing is in the way.Maybe it will drop in.
Too much grease on the spline might keep it from going all the way into the crank,but it seems the grease would just keep it from going in all the way.

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral

Welcome to the most frustrating part of servicing 50's model Johnson and Evinrudes. It's testing you to see if you have the patience to be a good owner. I know, cause I once fiddled with a 57 18 hp lower unit rebuild (seals, etc.) and impeller change. Fought the old girl for 2 hours and it finally slipped right into place...only problem was I missed the grommet for the water tube, so had to start over. Just be glad you are dealing with the lighter 10 hp. It goes easier if you take the recoil mech off and invert it flywheel down on a stool or low bench/table...but you really need a good bud and some tasty beverages to help you along. If you're at the breaking point, put it away until tomorrow. Hang in there, it will go into place...but only when it's ready. The only thing more fun that what you're doing is replacing the bolt that holds the shift shafts together cause the last owner stripped the threads, or maybe replacing the spaghetti seal in the lower unit. Hang in there, it'll decide to cooperate. A good flashlight helps a bunch.

itstippy

Chief Petty Officer

I got so desperate and frustrated wrestling with a 1963 Electramatic lower unit (heavy with 2 water tubes) that I ended up putting two extra-long bolts in place and mounting the lower unit a couple inches from seated. Then I could just slide it up the bolts the last 2 inches keeping everything lined up straight. I didn't have to keep holding up the lower unit and positioning it and cursing. After a few tries it finally seated and I put 2 proper length bolts in the remaining open holes to hold it in place, then replaced the extra-long ones. Overkill for a 10HP but if you get wildly desperate . . .