55 7.5 Evinrude

CreekRunner

Seaman Apprentice
Here's pic under flywheel. Does it look like everything is in order? Looks like new coils and condensers have been installed in the past. Points look a little worn. Do I need to put all new in while I'm in here? How about new shear key?

Have rebuilt pressure tank and it seems to work great.

Also have a fuel leak at the glass bowl where it should seal at bottom of carb. Are these gaskets available? Are the glass bowls available?

Sorry for all the questions but I'm rready to hear her run.
Model.jpgPoints2.jpgPoints3.jpgUnderFly.jpgSpeed.jpg

oldcatamount

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 55 7.5 Evinrude

I'd change the points for sure but, you're right about the coils, they appear ok. I would guess the flywheel key is ok. It would be obvious if it was sheared or bent. As for the fuel bowl, you'll probably have to got to a salvage yard for that. There is a list of salvage yards here (near the top of the Forum page). The seal can be handmade.

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

Wow, you got lucky there. I would completely disassemble the magplate assembly though and clean it up good, before you put new points on it. Cleanliness ensures better operation.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

Is the glass bowl broken? They actually have to be fairly tigh or they leak. Cant hurt to put a new gasket in there though.

Looks like everything needs a good cleaning. When you install the new points, if dressing them does not cut it, be sure to pull the coils ground wire tight into the coil, and keep the loop of wiring coming off the top of the condensor tight down lot to keep the flywheel from wearing on their insulated sleeves. That can be a bugger to troubleshoot later.

AlTn

Commander

marineengine.com has the bowl and gasket...the price of that bowl is an eye opener

kfa4303

Banned

check ebay and/or aomci.org for glass bowls and gaskets too. you might get a little better deal. you can get most routine parts right here at iboats. otherwise, it looks pretty good. I would clean everything, replace the points and condensers and the spark plug wires (7mm copper core), but the coils look ok. this may help:

http://www.duckworksmagazine.com/07/columns/max/index1.htm

CreekRunner

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for the help everyoe. All tips are useful and appreciated. I checked the fire with spark tester today and got good spark on one cyl and NO SPARK on other. Will replace points, wires, condensors and recheck for spark. Assuming this gets fixed the I'll look at carb next.

Also glass bowl is chipped on bottom edge but doesn't seem to leak there. It leaks where it presses against gasket at bottom of carb.

I was real pleased with the function of the pressurized tank after having it all apart for a rebuild. About three or four pumps and it tightens up very nicely.