'54 evinrude 25hp troubles

wbeaton

Commander
Re: '54 evinrude 25hp troubles: UPDATE!

Glad to hear its working out for you. Too bad about the clutch dog. Good news is that that lower is not too hard to come by. I bought a good gear set for my '54 on eBay for $15 plus shipping. I look forward to some photos or maybe a video soon.

Today, I'm wishing I had your luck. I'm 0-3 right now.

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral

Wow, that's a totally different carb than I was envisioning. Thanks for posting the pix. Don't sweat the clutch dog...waiting a little longer will make the final, perfect shake-down cruise that much more fun/sweet, knowing you did it yourself.

wbeaton

Commander

Should have also mentioned that you can use gears/clutch dog up to 1957 35 hp. Things changed in 1958.

jbjennings

Captain
Re: '54 evinrude 25hp troubles

Thanks for the info. Wayne, I was wondering about that as far as which years might fit.....That stinks on your motor luck (saw your post). Luckily, my luck has been really good, but I need it because I waste a lot of money on those old things. I have been so pleased dealing with the aomci members. I was kind of disappointed with this 25 but the guy probably had no idea the lower was bad. It was obvious it hadn't been used in a long time. I am a very untrusting person myself but have grown past it a little. I hope your check bouncer gets the what for next time you see him.

Hey Tim, thanks for the offer on the carb.! Luckily I may not need it. I think the key on getting the carb right was to really get everything perfect. No room for any error on that thing. Man, I really wanted to feel the "bigtwin" power today! At least it's fixable.
Later,
JBJ

wbeaton

Commander

Thanks, JBJ. I was PO's last night, but I'm better now. Fortunately, I don't pay much for motors so I'll be ok when I turn them over.

So hard to tell if the lower is good or not on these old girls. I bought my Big Twin knowing there was a gear problem due to water intrusion/freezing.

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

JBJ,
Did you mean the clutch dog or the slip clutch in the prop hub? A slipping clutch dog will feel like you hit a log. A slipping prop hub will feel like you're trying to accelerate with the prop fouled in weeds.
- Scott

dombarb

Seaman Apprentice

JBJ
thanks for sharing your learning experience I learned alot! I tell my students all the time You learn from what you don"t know. Not always the hard way.Some times you go up the wrong branch only to realize that it is the wrong branch. I am learning alot from your adventures keep going! Where did you find the polychromatic blue paint? Why don't you like the finished product? Do 15 hp rudes have clutches? Dom

jbjennings

Captain

Chinewalker, It was the ol' "hit the log" routine alright. I am going to take it apart in a few minutes and I'll post a pic of what I find. Uggh. I'm stalling on doing it because I'm afraid of what I'll find.

Dombarb,
All of the MECHANICALl shifts from the 50's to now that I know of have clutches to work the gears. Some different designs, but similar in basic mechanism. I'll post a pic of one later tonight so you'll see what I'm talking about and the one I'll show is boogered up so you'll get to see what that looks like. Yes, the 15 has it. By the way, the 50's and 60's and early 70's OMC's had split lower units that are really easy to work on if you want to try your hand at it. Some folks may not like 'em but I do. The blue paint I had mixed up (picked it out from samples in the auto paint shop). It was practically identical to Duplicolor light blue metallic if you're interested. I'll look and see what it's called if you want. I just don't like the shade of it. Was hoping for something a little lighter but I may leave it alone and just paint the stripes on it and finish it. Of course, I've stained it all up running it in a barrel so I may have to repaint anyway. I like original colors but am not that particular if I like how it looks. Oddly enough, the closer to original the more I usually like it. I'm not that high on the original green that the '55 10hp johnsons are, though. I like a little different shade of green. But I'm pretty particular because green is my favorite color.
By the way, I like lurking on threads and learning, too. I could hardly change a spark plug before the guys on here gave me numerous lessons.
I've learned enough that I can help a few folks on the really easy stuff.
Later,
JBJ

cc67

Petty Officer 1st Class

JB, is your 54 electric 12v or 6v? I just bought a 55 RDE 25hp electric start and the guy I bought it from was using a 12v battery to fire it. I just now remembered that cars back then were pretty much all 6v.

Picture009.jpg
[/IMG]

Sorry for the fuzzy picture.

jbjennings

Captain

Well, I tried adjusting the shift lever and took it for a spin. It ran wide open with no problems, but with my dad in the boat, after a couple of short runs it started slipping out of gear again, then while idling, the whole shifter would pop out of forward. So I'm going to pull the lower unit tomorrow and check the linkage to see if it's slipping or whatever and if not, I'll see how bad the clutch dogs are. Here's a couple of pics of it running wide open with my dad driving. It did have a very slight surge to it every once in a while after I got the high speed adjusted that I couldn't seem to get rid of but I didn't really have much of a chance, either.
Later,
JBJ

Will try and post some gear pics later.

Attachments

• 54 runner.jpg
    54 runner.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 0
  • '54 runnin'.jpg
    '54 runnin'.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 0
  • '54 runnin2.jpg
    '54 runnin2.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 0

jbjennings

Captain

Dang CC67, post some better pics of that rascal! It looks NICE! Original paint?
Mine is supposed to be e-start but doesn't have it. I just thought I remember FR stating that they came out with 12volt in '57. Maybe the guy you bought it from put a newer starter on it?
It looks like you have a nice 55! I like it!
JBJ

cc67

Petty Officer 1st Class

I need to mention that I was having the same problems with the idle as you were. It seems to run good at fast idle in N but is kinda finicky at slow speed. Haven't had a chance to run it on my boat yet because winter refuses to let go. Anyway, the packing was missing from the high and low speed needles, so replacing them really seemed to help. The starter motor,(which I removed) is a prestolite model if that means anything. It weighs a ton. If I can come across an old starter relay system for it I would probably put the starter back in.

Picture007.jpg
[/IMG]

Picture008.jpg
[/IMG]

I believe the hood is original paint but it looks like a cheap repaint on the leg. I also need to reseal the lower unit and install a new impeller. My next project.

jbjennings

Captain

CC67,
I really like your motor! Just my opinion, but it was probably totally repainted and whoever did it tried to do a nice job but just didn't get it right on the primer. You have to really know what you're doing to get the paint to stick good on those lower units or it will do just what your's did. I know because it's happened to me more than once. I've got some parts on the way to reseal my lower unit and I'm probably going to tear it down tomorrow. I am actually very pleased with the way mine idles now. everything has to be just right.
Thanks for the pics, I enjoyed seeing the side views for sure!
Oh, and I think you can get a mercury solenoid that will fit under the cowl and work great/look good (since you can't see it). You should check into it.
Later,
JBJ

jbjennings

Captain

Dom,
Here's a look at a gear set for a '56 10hp johnson. They are all similar in function even now in modern motors. If you can see any wear on the dogs or the gear ears, you're just about out of luck. chips off the edges are disastrous.
JBJ

Attachments

• gears 1.JPG
    gears 1.JPG
    68.4 KB · Views: 0
  • gears2A.JPG
    gears2A.JPG
    44.2 KB · Views: 0

dombarb

Seaman Apprentice

JBJ
Thanks for the feedback ands the pictures. Dom

wbeaton

Commander

cc67 your motor is 6V. 12V came out in 1957 like JBJ said. You can use a 12V battery for the starter, but the choke solenoid won't work right. You can get a newer solenoid or carb/solenoid from a 12V motor. Or you can get a few resistors and drop the voltage down to 6V or there are a few automotive products available for dropping voltage on old 6V cars.

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral

I've had good luck repainting lower units by using oven spray cleaner, the old caustic kind, to remove the old paint or what's left of it and take it back down to bare metal. I strip the paint, wash/rinse well, clean with carb cleaner, wash/rinse again, and here's the important part, handle only with clean/degreased hands and wipe it down with a tack-free/no-lint clotch. Let it dry/air for a while in a protected space and then apply the zinc/self-etching primer. Read the primer directions for when to follow with the color coat. Matching chemistry/brands for primer, color and clear coat is also wise or you can get crinkling of the color coat...which is very aggravating. Right now I'm using Duplicolor primer/color/clear coat...seems a good/tough combination. I always get some paint wear off on lower units though, just the nature of use...or maybe I'm a little rough with my motors, so I keep a small can of color for each motor for touch ups.

jbjennings

Captain

Just great,
I took apart the lower unit and the gear ears were AWFUL! The clutch dogs weren't that bad, oddly enough, but the gear ears were like ramps instead of nice 90 degree angles. It was obvious the lower unit had some water in it for a while. Well, back to the drawing board with it. Most of my motors have taken quite a bit of work to get running and get the lower unit sealed. I guess this one will be no different.
Later,
JBJ

By the way, Tim, those lower unit painting tips were excellent.

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

This is a good thread. Cant wait to get my own Big Twin 25 to work on it. I only have the 30, 35 & 40's...

Wayne, what happened with your cheque?