50hp to 60hp??

wgt500

Cadet
I need a little help! I have 2 evinrude 2cyl. outboard engines. The first is a 1975 50hp. This is like new with very low hours. I just rebuilt the carbs. replaced the coils and replaced the fuel pump for preventive maintenance. It runs great. The second is a 1983 60hp. This one was on a rental boat at a local marina. It runs great but has alot more wear on it. Does anybody know what evinrude did to make the additional 10hp. Is it something I can do to my 50hp engine w/o internal mods. I would much rather use my 50hp outboard modified to 60hp if that is possible. Thanks for your help! ****

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner
Re: 50hp to 60hp??

There were some internal changes but you're putting too much into advertised horsepower numbers. The gearcase on the 83 is probably a little sleeker but that probably won't show up unless you have a performance hull. The newer one makes a little more torque but if you turn them both at 5800 it'll be hard to see much difference. It's all in the set up.

rolmops

Vice Admiral

There were some internal changes but you're putting too much into advertised horsepower numbers. The gearcase on the 83 is probably a little sleeker but that probably won't show up unless you have a performance hull. The newer one makes a little more torque but if you turn them both at 5800 it'll be hard to see much difference. It's all in the set up.

This raises another question.
Where was the measurement taken? Was the 1975 still on the drive shaft, or was it already on the propeller?

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

This raises another question.
Where was the measurement taken? Was the 1975 still on the drive shaft, or was it already on the propeller?

I would really like this question answered. I always thought that prior to about 85 all makes measured HP at the crank, and then over about a 3 year period all makes switched to measuring HP at the prop. Then Mr Reeves mentioned that as far back as 62 OMC would advertise in promo videos available to dealers that their hps were rated at the prop, which was their selling point over the Mercs.

So now I am confused.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

actually i think it is seahorse5, that might know the true answer to that, he was an engineer for OMC.

wgt500

Cadet

Thanks for your replies. Think I wil stick with my 50hp engine!