50hp Mariner won't run question

Tex60

Seaman
Ok so we originally thought that it was a spark problem but we ruled that out, strong spark, then after trying to get it started I noticed there was some fuel under the carbs in one of the pockets on the bracket. We did a compression check with the top cyl at 120 and the bottom 2 at 122.

It is possible that the fuel under the carbs was us squeezing the bulb to many times when we where trying to start it and the fuel ran out the carbs, or there is a leak or malfunction on one of the carbs My plan is to get the kits for both the carbs and the fuel pump and rebuild the fuel system. But what I would like to know from you guys is there something I might be missing that I need to check before starting this process?

M

Maxz695

Re: 50hp Mariner won't run question

your needle and seat valve are not sealing causing the gas to overload in the carb get a kit and rebuild it. This should get you going

Tex60

Seaman

Thanks guys! Update I almost didn't have to work on it any more..........thieves attempted to steal the engine off my boat the other night, they had 3 of the 4 bolts out and had the steering linkage part way un-dun then managed to ruin my control cables by trying to cut them with cheap wire cutters. When they realized that there were too many things to undo the just settled on steeling my fuel tank with 10 gal of gas in it.

M

Maxz695

sorry to hear this get a dog a big dog!!!

Mi duckdown

Commander

Tex sorry to hear. that sucks. Have the cops do some finger printing.

Tex60

Seaman

my boat stays at my parents house and the neigborhood has always been very quiet but there has been some suspicious activity at one house, the Sherif's dept is going to step up patrols in the neighborhood and I have started improving the lighting in their driveway so their house will be the less desirable target than the other houses

I think it would have been funny to see their faces when they finnally got the weight of the engine on them instead of on the boat. This is an old one and it is really heavy....it took 3 grown men to take it off when we replaced the wood on the transum.

Tex60

Seaman

I got the carbs off and there doesn't seem to be any issues inside them, I opened them up and they looked clean inside I cleaned out all the passages anyway, I ordered the gasket set at 2.68 each since I only found one place that had a full kit at $56 each. I have yet to open up the fuel pump but that will be an easy rebuild, I ordered the kit for that also. I should say that I have very little experience with boat engines BUT my son and I race 2cycle kart engines on our racing karts running methanol so I have to practacly rebuild the carbs after every trip to the track. We also use a pump that is just a smaller version of the fuel pump on my boat engine. So I will just need to check the float heights when I put them back together.

Eddited I found the needle and seat by itself and ordered it

Tex60

Seaman

To close this out after the rebuild of the fuel system from the fuel line to the carb including the fuel pump and carbs she cranked right up and sounded much healthier than she did before. BUT NOW I HAVE A NEW PROBLEM PLEASE HELP ME WITH IT IN THE NEW THREAD.