50hp Johnson - lost compression over weekend in one cylinder

cchinchak

Cadet
Hello,
I have a 1991 50 hp johnson J50TLEIA 2 cyl with VRO. I bought this boat/motor last fall and it ran fine while out 3 times last year and once this year. I took it out on Sunday and it ran fine when we started out. We stopped to fish for an hour and then took off for another spot. At full throttle, the motor lost speed and was just barely going. I turned it off and tried to restart but it would not idle. I had to lift the lever on the control box to keep it running and then put it in gear quickly to take off. We got it back to the marina and checked the plugs. The bottom plug was fouled. We replaced it and with some effort got the motor to idle and it sounded great. It did smoke a lot at first.We decided to go back out and it ran fine at full throttle for about 1/4 mile and then lost power again. We called it a day and limped back to the marina. Today I checked compression and have 135 psi in top and only 30 on bottom. Any suggestions on why I lost power on the bottom cylinder and then was able to get it back for a short period? What needs to be done to get the motor back up and running? I hope it is an easy fix but not expecting it to be one.
Thanks Chris

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
It started to seize or a ring broke and it stopped, then when you got it started again the seizing or broken ring continued to get worse causing it to stop again.

The fix is a total rebuild.