50hp honda 4 stroke

TELMANMN

Chief Petty Officer
The neighbor at the lake had a previous Honda<br />on his boat. I believe it was a 40hp 4 stroke around 1999. He had this for several years and then bought a pontoon with a 2003 50HP. The previous 40 had no problems. He said he ran it through mud, weeds etc. The present 50hp had the water pump go out this spring and now he has water in the oil. He is not really happy. I told him I would see if others have had any problems with the newer Honda's.

JimCobb

Cadet
Re: 50hp honda 4 stroke

One small problem with enrichment valve when new otherwise a great little motor 2004 bf-40.

dd716ted

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The oil drain plug leaked and had to be re-machined by a Honda Dealer. Other than that.. NO-PROBS..

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

The owner of the fish camp I go to on LOTW has Honda 50s on about 5 of his rental boats, TelmanMN.<br /><br />He told me they are as reliable as a wheelbarrow. Zero problems this year.<br /><br />Of course he has a Suzuki DF140 on his personal boat. I don't know if that means anything or not.

Hawaiian

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Same thing with most of the rental boats at Crow Lake: Honda 50's. They are not the cheapest motors but if these guys are putting them on their rental fleet, it tells you that they can be used and abused and still run for a long time.

hondon

Lieutenant Commander

The big ? is how much water? With hot fall afternoons and cold fall evenings that condensation can be alarming on a less than hard run unit.Any water in the fuel? I certainly hope we're useing a water separator.A little water is not a great cause for concern and would be considered acceptable for any four stroke OB.We need to know if this intrusion is raising the oil level and emulsifying the oil in a short time,say 5 hours.

TELMANMN

Chief Petty Officer

He lives at the lake so the pontoon is used quite often. This was noticed by the neighbor as they were out cruising. The motor was running hotter than usual and he being a handy sort had him shut down and checked it out. The oil was discolored so since they were close to the boat landing they went into it. They then walked back and got the trailer and took it out. I am going up in a few days so will see if there is any new developments.

MajBach

Chief Petty Officer

JB: I hope you threw that Lunge back!<br />Nice fish.

hondon

Lieutenant Commander

LOTW is a cross national treasure and one of the many things I miss about my relocation from Minnesota.Anyway ,JB , you sure get around.